Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Should i continue writing this backstory??

DARK, Dark eldar

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  darklord41528 
#1 ·
Over the past few weeks, i have been writing up a custom army list for the dark eldar and wanted to get some opinions on my progress. Before i go any further, this is purely for fun play, as there is no way this would be accepted into any tounements.

The base idea is that at the time of the fall, there were a few eldar who had already been living in the webway for mellenia, and they were careless and arrogant at the powers that slannesh possesed because of them. they didn't care for even the limited boundries that the dark eldar placed upon themselves.

furthermore, they had learned the harlequins secret for holding back slannesh, and over time they formed a secret society within the core of the most influential of the great kabals, even the black heart, and they carlessly used phycic powers of unimaginable magnitute on the battlefield, thus cursing themselves to lives of misfourtune at the hand of slannesh.

the amazing physical prowess displayed by these arrogant dark eldar has over time become legend, and at each member of this societies passing, they were entered into the legend of the "Dark Muses".

even the highest order of the dark eldar weren't privy to the existence of this group of legends, all they know is that on the turn of every mellenia, there is a great uphevall in the far reaches of the warp and raiding parties sent from commorragh in the webway portals never even make it into realspace, they are never seen again.

some whisper that the Spirits of the greatest of the Dark muses summon the souls of all the fallen dark eldar and exact revenge on their brethen who invaded their webway home at the time off the fall.

even the greatest of the Dark eldar archons fear the deliverance of the dark muses... :eek:k:

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude i voted yes before i even read your post. Wanna know why? Simple. Back story is a basis for this game, with out it 40k would (if you like trains ignore the following) be drabber then the weird dad with a model train set. So I always say go for it. We can never have enough; just make sure that it makes sence.

Looking at the back story you have. It works. Its well writen and most important it makes sense! Keep it coming!

#3 ·
Thanks, that is just the basic idea, i havent went into much depth yet. i'm glad someone likes the idea. I was thinking about having Vect as one of the members of this society, as in the codex, it says that when he dies, he will enter the ranks of the dark muses.

I have made up a custom set of rules and units to portray this story on the battle field, one of the special rules is called the curse of slannesh; once any phycic power is used, the model that used it must re-roll any passed saves to represent their terrible misfourtune. :shok: :grin:

#4 · (Edited)
HQ/special rules/Phycic power list for the dark muses.

Again, for casual play, criticism and comments welcome. :biggrin:

SPECIAL RULES; (these apply to the entire army)

-preffered enemy; -eldar, dark eldar.
-Any daemon fighting in the same battle gain prefered enemy Dark muses.
-Curse of slannesh; you must re-roll any passed saves (of any kind) and LD tests for any model that has used a phsycic power.
- fear; any unit wishing to charge them must pass a ld test in order to charge. if they fail, they may not charge that turn.

PHSYCIC POWERS;
(*= only a Nightlord may take these powers)

-Accursed shell; the caster looses 2 wounds, and gains a 2+ invunerable save untill the end of the turn. (this power can be cast at any time, even after wounds are inflicted and before making any saves!)=15pts
-Fury bolt; the caster takes one wound with saves allowed; fury bolt is the following ranged attack: (Rng:6''/S:5/Ap:3/Type:assault 3)=10pts
-Foresaken pleasures; caster takes 3 wounds with saves allowed; target unit within 18" is automaticly pinned, (even if they are fearless, as the illusion is extreemly alluring and distracting if you know what i mean...)=20pts
*-Inhuman strength; the caster takes 2 wounds with saves allowed and increases their S to 5.=15pts
-Winds of change; rotate a target models I, A and WS in that order within 18". (if the phsycic test is failed, both the caster and the target model are removed from the table on a 3+)=5pts

HQ;
Shadowlord; 80pts
WS:8/BS:5/S:4/T:3/W:3/I:7/A:4/LD:10/SV:5+
WARGEAR:
-Power weapon
-Shadowshard pistol (Rng:12"/S:X/Ap:5/Type: Pistol1,poisoned(4+)
(Any squad with an unsaved wound from a shadowshard pistol reduces its Inititve by 1 for each unsaved wound)
-Midnight carpace; 5+ save
-dusk grenades; assault grenades; (any unit within 12'' of the combat where dusk grenades were used uses the night fighting rules untill the combat resolves.)

SPECIAL RULES;
-move through cover
-fleet
-Aura of command; any unit joined by the night lord is fearless
-fearless
-independant character

OPTIONS;
-flickerfield carpace; grants a 12'' assault move and a 4+ invunerable save=10pts
-husk blade; two saves must be made for each wound. =+5pts
-soul blade; power weapon, any wounds caused by the soulblade replenishes wounds caused to the weilder (cannot take the user over their maximum amount of wounds)=10pts
-poisoned blade (2+)= free
-webway portal;(do i have to explain this one???)=30pts
-may take any of the psycic powers at the listed cost.

I hope this gives people an idea of what i'm trying to acheive. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

#5 ·
Again, for casual play, criticism and comments welcome. :biggrin:

SPECIAL RULES; (these apply to the entire army)

-preffered enemy; -eldar, dark eldar.
-Any daemon fighting in the same battle gain prefered enemy Dark muses.
-Curse of slannesh; you must re-roll any passed saves (of any kind) and LD tests for any model that has used a phsycic power.
- fear; any unit wishing to charge them must pass a ld test in order to charge. if they fail, they may not charge that turn.

PHSYCIC POWERS;
(*= only a Nightlord may take these powers)

-Accursed shell; the caster looses 2 wounds, and gains a 2+ invunerable save untill the end of the turn. (this power can be cast at any time, even after wounds are inflicted and before making any saves!)=15pts
-Fury bolt; the caster takes one wound with saves allowed; fury bolt is the following ranged attack: (Rng:6''/S:5/Ap:3/Type:assault 3)=10pts
-Foresaken pleasures; caster takes 3 wounds with saves allowed; target unit within 18" is automaticly pinned, (even if they are fearless, as the illusion is extreemly alluring and distracting if you know what i mean...)=5pts
5 points? Really? Auto pin to even fearless units is at the VERY LEAST 25 points. Seriously powerful.
*-Inhuman strength; the caster takes 2 wounds with saves allowed and increases their S to 5.=15pts
-Winds of change; rotate a target models I, A and WS in that order within 18". (if the phsycic test is failed, both the caster and the target model are removed from the table on a 3+)=5pts

Bit too powerful seeing as when you use a power that allows saves you can just throw up your 2++ power and laugh.

HQ;
Shadowlord; 65pts
WS:8/BS:5/S:4/T:3/W:3/I:7/A:4/LD:10/SV:5+
WARGEAR:
-Power weapon
-Shadowshard pistol (Rng:12"/S:X/Ap:5/Type: Pistol1,poisoned(4+)
(Any squad with an unsaved wound from a shadowshard pistol reduces its Inititve by 1 for each unsaved wound)
Just from a fluff perspective this seems odd. Maybe just affect the wounded model.
-Midnight carpace; 5+ save
-dusk grenades; assault grenades; (any unit within 12'' of the combat where dusk grenades were used uses the night fighting rules untill the combat resolves.)
I assume this is built into the cost. Pretty ridiculous especially seeing as he is only 65 points, not much more than a regular archon. Bump his points up to ~90 points if you keep the grenades.

SPECIAL RULES;
-move through cover
-fleet
-Aura of command; any unit joined by the night lord is fearless
-fearless
-independant character

OPTIONS;
-flickerfield carpace; grants a 12'' assault move and a 4+ invunerable save=10pts
At first I thought this was a bit much until I realised his unit won't be able to charge with him.
-husk blade; two saves must be made for each wound. =+5pts
I hope this doesn't also have the same effect as a regular huskblade. If it isn't a power weapon points cost looks fine, otherwise bump it up a little.
-soul blade; power weapon, any wounds caused by the huskblade replenishes wounds caused to the weilder (cannot take the user over their maximum amount of wounds)=10pts
A special weapon to add to the effect of another special weapon? Probably a little to confusing to implement properly. Condense the power weapon into the husk blade and have this as a piece of wargear.
-poisoned blade (2+)= free
-webway portal;(do i have to explain this one???)=30pts
-may take any of the psycic powers at the listed cost.

I hope this gives people an idea of what i'm trying to acheive. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
A few comments regarding the points costs. Seems like a good idea to develop, I wouldn't mind seeing dark eldar who have retained their psychic abilities. Just be careful with points costs when making units as it is easy to get carried away making them really good for very few points (as you have done above).

Looking forward to seeing more stuff. :victory:

#6 ·
DARK, Dark elder fluff

Hey everyone, I'm having alot of trouble sleeping with all these ideas flying around in my head, so I,ve decided to delve more deeply into the background of the dark muses. So here goes...

Thousand of years ago, on one of the doomed realspace raids, a dispute between duke sliscus and his master humonicli had sliscus return to commoragh infuriated. Only hours later, sliscus returned to the realspace portal to find the hamonicli's barge under attack from a number of mysteriously transparent vessels, strikingly similar to their own. Still infuriated with his harmonucli, sliscus returned to commoragh. Sliscus never saw him again... :shok:

This is the only recorded proof of the dark muses to the archons of commoragh. (Well, the only encounter that was survived anyway...) Many of commoragh's sub realms were sealed once their creators were killed, as a rare quality among the dark muses is that of their loyalty, probably the only trait that they share with the craftworld eldar. In all other respects, the dark muses amplify the traits of even the most ruthless dark elder lords, where a dark elder lord might execute someone who disobeys or displeases him, the dark muse equivalent will kill their entire family first in the most excruciating way possible first just for the sake of causing pain. This extends to reaching into their victims minds and tormenting them in their thoughts and torturing their body until they are begging for death, even a slow and painful one. :puke:

#8 · (Edited)
I have edited my hq entry post above according to the comments, thanks for the advice...

Hang on, I can't scroll down the text enty on my iPod, I'll do it tomorrow...

#9 ·
Dark uses fluff

There are only a few members of the original "secret society" still alive in commoragh and they have a considerable influence over many of the great kabals and Wych cults, and at the turn of the century, they ensure that their passed get the chance at revenge upon the "Intuders" with every appearance the dark muses strength grows as they command the souls of those they vanquish, this is a terrible fate, even for the dark eldar. The muses believe that it is their eternal right to rule commoragh, and with every victory they get closer and closer to that goal. Legend has it that the muses will through manipulation of their universe they will attain an almos godlike status, commanding even Daemons of slannesh, after destroying the great enemy and restoring themselves to rule over the remaints of the elder race, both dark and their craftworld cousins. Most in power in both commoragh and the craftworlds don't believe in this myth, prophecy even, if out of arrogance or fear, no-one will ever know. :biggrin:

The muses see other races in a mix of views, both as assets and prey, tools and sustinance for a greatr power, themselves. They communicate with their still living brothers psychically at mass gatherings, to express their will and to instruct the secret society on any major plans they have in store for the populance of commoragh. These massive rituals occur just before the turn of each century at the time of the upheaval in the warp. They are located in the closed off sub realm of the muse they are psycically communicating with.

#10 ·
Muses fluff

Another portion of experimental muses fluff, I hope you enjoy. If you notice any flaws in my fluff so far, please don't hesitate to mention it, it would be really appreciated as I am hoping to make this as authentic as possible for when I self publish it. As a nice little reminder of my first playable custom army. :biggrin:

The dark muses battle style varies drastically, ranging from harlequin like performances, bloodthirsty Wych-like assaults, to overwhelming fusillades of splinterlike barrages. However they choose to dismember their opponents, they have, so far never failed, proof of their superiority as a race, they even consider themselves superior to the other aspects of eldar life. Some members of the society fear that their over confidence and unbelivble amount of arrogance in the Afterlife may lead to their a second fall, the fall of the muses...

To be continued... :victory:

#12 ·
thats actually a great idea. i'm dont nkow much about the main eldar social stucture apart from the basics, so ill have to do a bit of reading before i can do that in any depth. :good:

#15 ·
Mock up paint sceme

Hey guys, i just spent a few minutes painting a mock up of the warriors in my dark muses army. :victory:

the actual photo size is way too big for the attachment size... 2.7mb :shok:

so ill give a bit of a breif discription;

-first, on a black undercoat, i drybrushed heavily with a 2:1 mix of scorpion green:skull white over the entire model.
-next was a space wolves grey drybrushed very lightly this time.
-the eyes and crystals were a blazing orange, with white highlights.
-then, i picked out the edges of the armour with a straight scorpion green, and the right knee was filled completely. (much like blood angels armour.:eek:k:)
-then the knife on the back of the model was painted a 1:1 mix of bleached bone and skull white with a red wash to fill in the detail.
-the cloth was a straiht bleaced bone, and te cain is a tin bits mix.

ill try and get a photo up as soon as possible. :good:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.