Anybody out there play ORKS? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Anybody out there play ORKS?

I'm going to start an ork army, and any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

I was thinking of getting a warboss, big mek, lots of boyz (sluggas), then a good amount of trukk boyz (maybe two squads), and three killa kans. Eventually i think i would get a Battlewagon, but first i wanted either a Looted Basilisk or a Looted Leman Russ, which is better? Also, are Kommandos worth it? because they come in small squads w/NO armor save, (or even Stormboyz although they do have a 6+ sv) and i'd think they fall to light infantry fire...seems like a waste of points, elite options and boys if you ask me.

Anyways, any pointers or critisism would be appreciated!

A fence lasts three years, a dog three fences, a horse three dogs, and a man three horses.

-German proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-11-07, 08:10 PM

Anphicar's Flag is: USA

If Warboss Dakka is around he can give you some GREAT tips.

I have always wanted to try orks out..

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 12:35 AM

Ive been an Ork player for 3 years so i can help you out..

Well first of all to say everything (except for stickbombas) has its role in the Ork army. Big units of slugga boyz are always good but you can't just have a horde of boyz running up the field. Your'e going to need fast stuff (buggies, trukk boyz, stormboyz if you want though i personally don't like 'em) Your gonna need some 'ard stuff (Looted Leman Russ, which is better then the basalisk in my opinion because it can draw fire, A Battlewagon, proubaly a Big Mek with a KFF and whatever else you like really, its not about winning its about having fun!) Remember you want to outnumber the enemy (unless your playing KoS) you want to have a lot of fire power to support you (in the form of big shootas or rokkits) and you want to have fast stuff to harass and take firepower away from your main mob of boyz (buggies and/or trukks)

Hope this helps somewhat and good luck!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 12:49 AM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

Orks are a fantastic army in that they give you the ability to field almost any style of army.

Fast, hard hitting vehicle heavy - speedfreaks or a themed list full of trukk boys will work, and don't forget you tanks and battlewagons.

Horde - well orks a plentiful and cheap, bung a few KFF in there to give you mobile cover while you advance the tide.

Ferral - nice CA list that lets you have squigoffs (big dinosaur type ork creatures), boar riders and all manner of low tech ork

Elite - skarboys, tankhunters, kommandos etc for a small but tightly nit team of expert killers (probably one of the hardest types of list to play)

the list goes on, you could even create a grot themed list with only a warboss and maxed out grot units for troops!!!! VIA LA (Grot) REVOLUTION!

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

I think if anything I would go with a horde army (troops wise), but have lots of Fast attack too in order to tie up the enemy (or atlest draw fire) while the bulk of my army reaches their main lines(shielded of course by my warbikes and maybe some Kans). I'm still not sure what i'd get for elites, maybe just Skar and 'Ard Boyz.

I think in the end i would take the Leman Russ over the Basilisk though. Because althouogh i've never fielded either, the Leman seems more versatile and can take a better hit.

Also, what happens when you give a warboss a choppa and a power claw? Does he have to use one per turn, or both? I have mine w/just a choppa, but negating armor saves seems pretty nice (as opposed to having higher init, and downgrading better than a 4+ sv to a 4+)...[/list][/quote]

A fence lasts three years, a dog three fences, a horse three dogs, and a man three horses.

-German proverb
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 08:18 AM

Skcuzzlebumm's Flag is: Scotland

he chooses which one to use each turn and gains the benifit of ust that weapon.

Field Marshall Lord Neil Alister Mackenzie Kerr the Marquess of Lothian
aka Team Scotland 40k Captain 2012
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 08:51 AM

I've been playing orks for quite a few years, and here's basically the lessons I've learned.

Shoota boyz are pretty crappy. Slugga boyz are a far superior option. I'm not a big fan of giving them burnas, as the burnas still do nothing as you slog across the field. Rokkits and big shootas give them something to do on those long treks to the assault.

Two killa kans is better than the one dreadnought you could have gotten instead. Other armies' dreadnoughts have good ballistic skill and powerful ranged weaponry while at the same time packing a wallop in the assault. Yours is just a close combat beast, but you're paying a similar cost. Killa kans can also be used to block line of sight when put in base-to-base contact. It's pretty sweet.

I *LOVE* trukk boyz. 10 trukk boyz, give one a burna, and upgrade one to a nob with a power klaw. The trukk usually gets just red paint. I'd give my trukks rokkit launchas if I knew where to get the models. There's two real methods of approach with trukk boyz. The first is to zip from cover to cover, ending with a 12" move, 2" disembark, and 6" assault. The other way, when no cover is available, is to blast the full 25" (red paint) forward, and grit your teeth as it eats all manner of panicked return fire. The trukk blows up, you lose a boy or two in the explosion, and the rest are given a 4+ cover save in the wreckage. If the enemy isn't packing some burnas of their own, you've either got an excellent fire magnet to cover your boyz (or other trukkerz) while they advance, or a turn later your enemy has a squad right in their midst that's about to kick some serious butt.

There's also plenty of fun tricks to be played with the wartrukk once it's dropped da boyz off at skool. Strategic placing can get an enemy to be automatically wiped out due to no escape route. You can keep it within 6" of an enemy squad to keep them from regrouping (this is especially fun against space marine players who are completely spoiled by And They Shall Know No Fear). You could also give it stikkbomb chuckas for a little fun with tank shock (combine with previous trick for maximum effect).

My warboss always gets a power klaw and choppa. Why? Because if he WAAAGHS then I want the option to go with the strength 5 attacks at initiative 8. I don't always or even often choose to do so, but there are times when it can make a big difference. Besides, it's only 1 point more and he never hits anything with that slugga anyway. In smaller games he accompanies a mob of trukk boyz and also gets a cybork body. I don't bother with real armor since he usually just gets targetted by enemy characters with power weapons/fists anyway. Bigger games I take him as described along with a nobz mob with just choppas and sluggas, maybe one power klaw. Think of it as just a really kickass trukk boyz squad.

Stormboyz are far too vulnerable. The cost of a space marine with the survivability of an ork? No thanks. I've never tried kommandos, but I think they might have potential. I wouldn't worry about them not having armor saves, since you usually aren't getting them anyway. Skarboyz and 'Ard Boyz are neat, but if they're slogging it then then they both generally get eaten up by shooting. The 'Ard Boyz seem like they should be good here, but all of the bigger anti-infantry weapons (heavy bolters, assaul cannons, ordnance, etc) ignore their save anyway. If you get a battlewagon or play speed freeks though, I'd definitely consider them.

Lootas are cute and hilarious when they start shooting each other, but all-in-all just useful for stealing imperial guard lascannons (they're cheaper than for space marines). Even then, I'd avoid 'em. I've never played around with the artillery units, so I've got no idea. Battlewagons are a lot of fun, and can be geared for almost any role. I like to think of them as a cross between a predator and a land raider. Bikers seem to be too expensive to be worthwhile, and I've not tried much with guntrukks, but they seem like they might be useful. Stikkbomb chuckas seem like a must-have for them because, hey, dirt cheap tank shock? Yes please. It's not like they can't move 13" (red paint) and still fire at maximum effectiveness anyway.

I have a looted basilisk in my army. I like it because it's dirt cheap. It's even better in speed freeks because you can give it a force field to remove the open-topped +1 damage bonus. I've experimented with a proxied leman russ demolisher because I couldn't pass up the orkiness of fielding the most powerful weapon in 40K. I think you'll find that either is excellent. I usually use them for destroying squads of MEQs (T4, 3+ save units if you didn't know) or vehicles, since orks are a bit lacking in the anti-armor firepower department.

As far as Big Mek's go, I'd really only use them with a kustom force field to protect a Battlewagon or maybe a mass of advancing slugga boyz. Other than that... meh. Painbosses can be fun since their retinue of cyborks is AMAZING. Their chief problem is that if you send 'em on foot, they're real slow, and if you put 'em in a trukk, they tend to die a lot when it blows up.

My personal playstyle is all about speed. It naturally follows that I'm a big fan of speek freeks. Being able to use other squad's transports is amazing. Automatically regrouping, regardless of other factors, when you fall back to an empty transport is amazing. Trukk boyz are amazing. Try to resist the temptation to put stuff like burna boyz and skarboyz in trukks with speed freeks, because sure they pack a punch, but they get hurt real bad when the trukk blows up, and the trukk WILL blow up. Their main deficiency is that if the enemy wipes out all your empty transports, each failed morale test is instant death for the whole squad.

My current 1000 point list has two squads of trukk boyz, one of whom is joined by the warboss. These guys zip up and get the enemy busy while two mobz of 15-20 slugga boyz and 2-6 killa kanz start hoofing it across. All the while there's a basilisk in the back providing fire support. The slugga boyz and kanz are all armed with maximum rokkit launchas. Your goal is to take out all the vehicles during your little walk across the battlefield and then deal with the infantry when you get there.

Also, as long as you can hit 3 guys MEQs with the burna template (this will be almost always), it's better to torch them and then just use regular attacks in close combat than it is to save it for use as a power weapon. If you can only torch 2, it's equally effective to do it either way. When it comes to anyone with a 4+ save or worse, always flame as long as you can hit at least 2. When disembarking and moving those burna-toting trukk boyz, ALWAYS remember to put the burna in the front. This is a mistake I've made a few times, and it's downright embarassing.

Choppas > terminators. I cannot emphasize this enough.

The only thing more important to know than "choppas > terminators" when playing orks: Have fun. Goof around. There's nothing more jolly than an ork player with a good sense of sportsmanship and humor. Always remember that orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die so it don't count as beat. If we runs for it we don't die neither,so we can alwaya come back for anuvver go,see!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 02:12 PM

the cabbage's Flag is: Scotland

I've been playing orks for five years now starting with speed freeks and graduating to orks on foot.

Things which have served me well;

* Large squads of slugga boyz.

* Every CC squad needs a nob with boss pole, iron gob and power claw. You are likely to play marines a lot and he will do the killing!

* If playing speed freeks concentrate your attacks, it is easy to shrug of one squad of trukk boyz but not two.

* Guntrukks with Zzap guns are superb, they ignore you're rubbish BS but remember to look after them. With four dice they will AVERAGE a penetration role of 14, hitting automatically.

* One tactic I use is a tasty warboss retinue backed up by two large squads of slugga boyz and one of ardboyz. I have two mekboyz with force fields which if placed correctly should give the majority of your army a five up save. This doesn't seem like much but when your normal save is 6up will mean that you should half your casualties. Remember only half of the squad has to be within 6 inches of the mekboy to get the save. This tactic obviously suffers against IG pie plates.

* I have never had much joy with dreds or canz in the open as they are a lot of fun for your opponents anti-tank guns. In cityfight however they can be downright nasty.

* Kommandoes can seem OK but I find that with no save and only ten orks they have little or no staying power. I used three squads in a campaign weekend and they did little or nothing.

* Stormboyz have their uses but are way too expensive to send over the board into enemy fire. Good use of cover however helps.

* Squeeze as many big shootaz and rockits in as possible because you lose nothing whilst moving and they can always be binned as the first casualties when you get to the other side.

* A small squad of tankbustas can be usefull if placed in cover with a good field of fire. Four strength nine rockits even hitting on fives can win thier points back.

There should be a new codex out shortly so this could all be nerfed but I can't wait to get the boyz out.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-12-07, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There should be a new codex out shortly so this could all be nerfed but I can't wait to get the boyz out.
Yeah, i was wondering about that. Is there any known date on when they will be redoing Orks? Or if they're even up in line? Because I want to get an Ork army as soon as possible and I have the older codex (copyright 1999!!) and I don't want to send 200+ dollars on an army soon to be changed. I heard Dark Angels were next, but i don't know that for sure.

Anyway, how are you supposed to have Nobs in a mob of boyz wen they're isn't a model in the sprue? do you have to buy one of the metal ones? And how does wysiwyg go along with the fact that the warboss doesn't even come with a power klaw to attach?! I remodeled a Choppa onto him, but he still has that Shoota/burna Kombi weapon. And another thing...what's up with using normal boyz for 'Ard boyz, Trukk boyz, Flash Gitz, Lootas, AND Skarboyz?? Although none of this discourages me from collecting them, it's just a really big nuisance.

I hope this army gets redone soon, because they need it.

By the way, thanks for all the tips on different ork armies. And if warbikes are too expensive for their efficiency, then should I not get the Battleforce? (it comes with 1 Wartrukk, 1 Warbuggy, which i dont think i'd end up using, 16 boyz, and 5 warbikes all for $90.00!!! that's a $70.00 discount!)

-German proverb
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-07, 01:37 AM

From what I hear, the new orks codex should be out around october-ish. I have no idea how valid that is, so take it with a boulder of salt.

Nobz must be purchased separately. As far as giving the warboss a power klaw, I got my warboss, along with a bunch of other stuff, on eBay from a guy who included a lot of really great conversions. One thing I noted is that he hand-build a lot of power klaws for nobz and the warboss. The only way I could see getting a power klaw on a warboss from stock GW pieces is to either buy the Ghazghkull model and use it as a warboss in mega armor (it includes a power klaw), or buy that AND a regular warboss, and just attack Ghazghkull's power klaw to the regular one. There's probably someone here who can give you cheaper advice than that, though...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode