How hard are Eldar to play? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Phenatix's Flag is: USA

Default How hard are Eldar to play?

I haven't ever played Eldar, but the only time I've seen them used was by an older more experienced player, and, he was amazing.

Also I've read a lot of people saying they were good.

So I wanted to discuss them really, I am looking to start up 40k again, I haven't played for about a year, and never read the 5th edition rules, yet.

From the GW site it seems like most of their models are plastic right? So far I have looked at WH and DH, and damn, what is it, like $30 for 5 GKs? Also Eldar always looked cool with their grav-tanks, and Rangers, they look awesome.

EDIT:
-A SoB: $4 per model (it doesn't say if they're metal or not, because they cost more than marines and on marines it says, I assume metal)
-A GK: $7 per model (metal, and it comes with a psycannon, which you might not even use, not the option, the psycannon is part of the guy it comes with.)
-A SM: $3.50 for one tac marine (I'm not sure what the basic marine is, but this was the first one... And they're plastic)

EDIT2: Dire Avengers are $3 a model and it seems like almost the entire army would be plastic, which is always nice.

Last edited by Phenatix; 02-21-09 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 02:52 PM

Broken's Flag is: England

Icon

The thing about Eldar is that they're very fragile and need to be played coherently with one another. Unfortunately, this is often confused with them being hard to play. Like any other army, it takes a few games of learning strategies and specific manoeuvres before you'll start winning.

I'd advise that for the first five games you play ask your opponent what you could improve, if you lost. Then, after those matches, stick with the same list and learn everything about it. In doing so you'll eventually become masterful with certain units. It might also be a good idea to talk to this other person who you say is very talented with Eldar.

I'm back and creating signatures once again. If you need an avatar, signature, artwork or anything just drop me a PM or go here: My Graphics Workshop
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 03:30 PM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

Out of all the armies I've played (Necron, Tau, CSM, Ork, Tyranid, & Eldar), I would say they have been the hardest. You need to recognized synergy between units as well as what psychic powers to use where. Eldar are also mainly T3, meaning a lot of stuff wonds on 2+ / 3+. That being said, very competitive and very strong.

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Phenatix's Flag is: USA

Hmm... I just read a 3 page Tactica about them, it was very informative and similar to what you guys said. The prevelance (sp?) of T3 would take some getting used to. Also they seem like a much more cloak-and-dagger type of playstyle than other armies, cover and psychic powers seem big.

Thanks you two =]
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-09, 10:59 PM

I personally do not find Eldar "hard to play" but hey do require a bit more attention. As said above they are all mostly T3 which means you'll suffer larger wounds, however, at the same time they do have the ability to whip anyone out. With the Prism tanks, and the mass amount of AP2/3 weaponry. My only advise is base your army on shooting, and keep a squad of banshees or harlequins for if a unit is assaulted. (Eldar does not fair well in close combat in my experience due to the T3 and S3, but if you use the farseers doom power it'll make things easier.)

The idea behind Eldar is to use all your models to operate as one super model. Focus on one squad at a time, because you'll need to combine the strength of your farseers psychic abilities, the fire power of your dire avengers, and lastly the clean up crews power weapon combat (Banshees). If you keep this in mind while playing you should fair well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode