Grey Knights - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Icon Grey Knights

Im new to warhammer 40000.
I started playing when the games-workshop store in Antwerp opened.
Im 16 and have never painted be4.
I want to play grey knights.
What list should I use to win a lot?
Are they hard too paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 03:47 PM

Darkseer's Flag is: Great Britain

Sorry to tell you this, but if you want to win games, Grey Knights are not a good choice. Their army book is very out of date.

My Tau Blog:
tactics, conversions, painting guides and more
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 03:50 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Grey Knights are good army - they play very similar to Eldar lists, but without some of their funky rules.

The typical solid Grey Knight list is based around 2 Land Raiders, 2 Tactical Grey Knight Squads, a Terminator Hero, and a Bodyguard. That's 1000 Pts, and good at taking on quite a bit.

They are unfortunately expensive models, and in game, so it'll hurt if one dies, but there's no denying their effectiveness.

However, due to their model size, being Fearless, and general weakness (you're paying nearly double for a person that's not tougher than a Marine).

To win, Tyranid's do well, Eldar, and Orks are your best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 04:01 PM

I don't think you should settle for a list that you don't like just to win with. Use an army that you like and learn to win with it. So you can at least find that the list your playing with is fun and enjoyable. Isn't that the meaning of the game...to have fun?

Sure Grey Knights have a hard learning curve but when you learn how to use them, they are a force to be reckoned with.

I am Johnny Genocide and I approve this message
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 04:06 PM

CamTheApostle's Flag is: USA

Not to counter anything Vaz has said, as he knows what he is talking about (most of the time ), but winning isn't always about having the 'best win' army. Its about strategy. The better you know your codex and your army list, the more comfortable you are with them, and the better you know how to handle them on the battlefield within the rules, the better you are the game and more likely to win.

As for difficulty to paint, that is all you.

Well, that is my $0.03 worth (damn you weak american dollar!)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 04:13 PM

Steel Rain's Flag is: USA

That said, some armies do require more work to win. Against players of similar skill and experience, Grey Knights will lose against most armies. They are beasts in CC, but with so few models, it's easy to overwhelm them. A few bad rolls will cost a terminator command squad half it's force.

Quote:
*sigh* I have to point out that despite what you see in games, lasrifles win wars. Just because lasrifles suck at killing superhuman killing machines in power armor does not mean that they are bad weapons. You are shooting them at the wrong targets. The most common enemy the Imperium faces is lightly armored humans armed with lasguns or autoguns, NOT SPACE MARINES.
-me
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 04:53 PM

Grik's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I want to play grey knights.
What list should I use to win a lot?
Ok first off, this isn't a game about being the uber badass power gamer that wins every match he's in. It's a social game, and much more fun to play if you play to have fun and socialize, with winning as a side effect; not playing because all you want to do is win, with being social and having fun as a side effect. The game is just as much about strategy, and what units you take and how you use them, as it is about power gaming and using an overly powerful army. Tell that to the huge influx in Ork players. And in my experience (12+ years) I don't think I've ever met a power gamer that was fun to play against.

As for choosing an army, choose an army that you would is cool or would be cool to play, or an army that you like the background on, or one that you like the units that said army can take,

Cry Sotek, and let slip the Lizards of War!

Courage and Honor!

"There is no good news, no silver lining, only the bright white light and then the sweet release of death." - Ultramarines 5th Company Captain Oliver Galenus

"Stuff sold by the gram will always be more expensive than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 05:00 PM

Rahmiel's Flag is: USA

If you really like the Grey Knights, but don't quite know how to use them then try using them as an ally with a parent list from the IG or SM (I think you can do that), to get a feel for them. Painting GK isn't too hard, but if you have never painted metallics then you should go slow with them. A good method for GK armor, if you want them to look like standard GK's is to start with a boltgun metal base. Highlight this chainmail, then wash the armor with blue or blue ink and finally highlight the finer edges of the armor with mithril silver. For the ornate gold insets start with brazen brass and highlight with shining gold. Hope that helps, if you don't know how to use these painting techniques then check out the tutorials section. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 07:40 PM

Truthiness08's Flag is: USA

40 grey knights

9 knights + justicar = 275 (that x 4) = 1100

add in 2 dreadnoughts ~135 each

brother captain (not a grand master) = ~115
=~1485 close to 1500 which is a standard army size. Should be a pretty nasty army, you may not win EVERY time but pretty close especially against the novice player or one of these guys whose all like; look at my new exarc he's from the galaxies battles that were fought a century ago and now he drinks wine from the avatars bum (fluffy nonsense, just roll the f#!king dice).

"Guess what, I gotta fever, and the only prescription, is more...

Last edited by Truthiness08; 01-21-09 at 07:45 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-09, 08:47 PM

godzy's Flag is: Israel

GK have one of the best looking models in the game, and are really fluffy. they are not easy to handle, but some reading could help out. a goot start is the way of the water warrior.
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...owtopic=101214.

BTW. have you been to the Brussels GW? do hey still have that cute red-head?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode