Narrative games or no? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-09, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

Default Narrative games or no?

Out of curiosity, I just finished skimming through the Rogue Trader rulebook, a relic normally kept with the other disused or outmoded elements of the hobby ( lego tanks, anyone?)

I noticed that in Rogue Trader, the focus was undeniably on the story of the game. There was a Game Master and all sort of tables and charts for plot twists in the scenarios and weird monsters showing up. The rules were leagues more complex, and the armies much smaller.

I was wondering, who else here is a fan of the narrative aspect of the 40k universe? Have you played any awesome campaigns or scenarios lately?

I essentially play 40k one way with my friends and one way with my dad. My friends care nothing for the storyline, because time is usually tight and they want to get to playing, and they are far more likely to choose armies that wouldn't exist or be practical in the fluff. By contrast, my games with my dad take twice as long, and we choose more balanced and fluffy armies ( no chapter masters leading random 1000 point scouting forces). Two days ago, we played a game where a force of space marines was protecting a virus bomb while trying to kill an astropath believed to be tainted by chaos. After getting butchered by the guard, I realized I had still enjoyed this game more because of the narrative qualities.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-09, 09:24 PM

Caledor's Flag is: New Zealand

I definantly prefer the narrative approach to games. Mostly though, it's just an idea behind why the forces are fighting, rather then the forces themselves or the outcome. Haven't had any campaigns yet, although I am trying to get one started.

Three things matter in marksmanship - location, location, location.
- Vindicare Temple training dogma

"DoW2 is the best thing to come to the computer for 40k players since Armybuilder."
- bigred, BOLS
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-09, 09:51 PM

Unforgiven302's Flag is: USA

That is what got me into 40K to begin with. The idea of having a reason that these battles were taking place was just as interesting as playing, if not more so. Rogue Trader was what my group of friends played for many years. We had set games nights, Tuesday and Saturdays for playing. The other five days were used in building the campaign structure. If you won or lost a game it totally set your next game up. We had our first campaign set on a "world for the taking." In the end my friends Eldar ended up controlling 60% of the map and therefore won that world for his own. This went on for 3-4 years and the tides of war never really set a firm winner of our section of space. So we had a battle Royal to find the winner. I remember that the final battle was huge for Rogue Trader battles, (and could be considered an Apocalypse game by todays standard) which included all our army's on the field at once. We allied with someone else and actually had to play the game on my friends basement floor because an 8'+4' table was just way too small. They won, (eldar and Ork armies?!?) we lost, (space marines and Guard). It took 4 entire days to finish the game. That was fun, but believe me I was mad. almost four years of constant gaming only to loose... argh. It was awesome.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-09, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Ascendant's Flag is: USA

Wow, a four year campaign is pretty impressive. I always want to contribute to the summer campaigns but I never have an army together enough at the time.
As for my own campaigns, the lack of a concrete gaming group makes it so that we hardly ever string together more than 2 or 3 games in a decent span of time with my friends. Did one of you end up making most of the map and stuff, or was it all a group effort?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode