Starting a new army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-16, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Default Starting a new army

Howdy folks, just looking for some advice and thoughts on the plan I'm throwing around in my head.

I have a solid tyranid army, but it's not fully built, I've found myself a bit bored of building and painting the models, I have bits of exocrine, tervigon, carnifex, hive guard etc, littering my room, I also have never actually played a real tabletop game of 40k (have a couple fantasy under my belt). I was thinking about starting a new army to try and revitalize my passions for hte game, when I first got into it I loved building them and painting, it was a good outlet for some personal problems I had been dealing with.

So my question is, what would you suggest I do in regards to all this?

I was contemplating 3 maybe 4 possible armies:

1: Salamanders Space Marines, I love green, I love fire what more could you want?

2: Chaos Space Marines, as you can tell by my name I like pirates, Red Corsairs would more than likely be my army of choice. Blood for the Blood God, and Nurgle saves make me smile.

3: Tau, pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew missile barrage... I like artillery.

and possible 4: Necrons, oh I'm sorry were you trying to kill me? too bad, and the ease of painting silver models.

The key factors I'm looking for are, easy to build, fast to paint, that way I don't get bored before I have an army ready to play.

I think I would like to aim for something like 850-1000 points to start with. I want to get something small going then get some games under my belt to really revitalize myself for the game.

Let me know your thoughts on everything, good or bad I welcome feedback.

Thanks in advance
-Corsair420
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-17, 11:31 PM

Moonschwine's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hey Corsair,

You sound just like me! Sorry to hear you've had a shaky time but great to hear wargaming is helps.

As someone whose revitalizing their own interest in the hobby after a similar spate of 'problem life' I've found the following to be really helpful:

1. Set the goals small and often - Ambition is the biggest killer of momentum in wargaming. As a nid player I'm sure you know full well the chore or rinse and repeat painting and building. I'd recommend cutting the starting points and build a 500pt list. Build a few models at a time and paint them and complete them. Set small targets like "this week I'm going to make the commander" or "I will have painted X troops". That way the overall time and investment is less and as you knock things down you can build others. Plus you get the constant rush of made-built-painted-buy that makes the hobby so addicting.

2. Tough choices for armies! Personally I'd go for something that lets you really customize and give you a fresh look - So Marines or Chaos get my vote - frankly there is just so many options you can do with these guys with both official (GW/FW) and 3rd Party bits. As you're already working in small projects (point 1) it lets you really add character to them and before you know it you've got a fully working army with character and your own stamp on it. Another tip too - read lore about the armies and see which one you fall in love with.

3. Complimentary to 2 - Pick a total "dark-horse" army not on your list (say Dark Eldar) and paint a few test models if you can pick em up on auction sites or in a bits trade. You may be surprised - many moons ago I was torn between Nids, Necrons, Marines and Eldar. Went for a dark horse option and picked up the 3 Model Chaos space marines snap-fit box and painted them up. After that fell in love with them and ended up buying an army.

4. Listen to podcasts, audiobooks etc etc. You can get access to alot of material for free from video-hosting sites, podcasts etc. It's great to build and listen to that stuff and may help you pick.

Inspiring Quote:

"Ambition is the biggest killer of Momentum"

Active Projects:

The Catechized

Starting afresh with my Chaos Space Marines.

Project Log Link (Placeholder) -

Project Rebuild, Reboot, Recycle:

Stripping, rebuilding and remaking my Guard army.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

lol a bit late but I appreciate the input, I ended up going with Tau, and have a solid 2500 point list, started with 1500

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode