what do you want in "eight edition" 40K? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-16, 09:56 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

@R_Squared I agree with much of that though I've never been an ork player.

1. Agreed. Random tables are stupid for almost everything. They make sense for mid game chaos mutations, but that's about it.

2. Yeah, the challenge mechanic has always been open to abuse and much irritation.

3. I'm not a fan of flyers in 40k. Thru should have stayed out.

4. I don't mind the rulebook actually. I think they could do a better job writing the actual rules language, but the current rulebook is probably the best one they've ever made. The fact that there's an index is amazing. Imagine playing 40k worth no index! I remember those days.

5. Multiple books . . . Hmm. I think this par for the course. Games companies make books and sell them. That's pretty normal. To do it differently would mean either rewriting everything all at once and release books in a set order, all at once, OR maybe make the game content some sort of subscription (paid or with the purchase of models) and accessible via Web app.

I'm personally a fan of a Web app. It allows the status of the game to be tweaked and rebalanced as and when needed. Requiring a mobile device / computer to accesses it might present a barrier for some users though. I generally think the advantages outweigh the problems though. Having a system whose points are always balanced and who never had power creep would be amazing.

Rolling a ton of dice isn't a problem if the rolls are all clear. If you need to roll 5 times per model though, that's a problem. And in general I was a fan of the warzone system (roll to hit, roll to save, remove dead guys, done.)

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-16, 03:06 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
Christ the last game I played at 2000 points it took over 6 hours, and we only just got to turn 5! My back was killing me towards the end.
On average my pals and I play 2k in about two hours. Last time I played a match that lasted over six hours we were both pretty drunk by the end of it and that was kinda the point. It was also a 5k each side match.

It was a good day.

Point is when you play at a level that is equal to your knowledge of the game, and involving aspects of the game that you and your opponent are versed in, you get max gaming. If you bite off more than you can chew (this includes your opponent's knowledge of the game) things can get very very clunky meandering through the rules. I'm not saying you aren't smart or don't know the rules or anything like that, it's happened to me as well when I'm diving in on a 20+ mastery level point list that I'm using for the first time. It's a slippery slope sometimes with tabletop games.

As an aside, X-Wing can be fast and sleek at 100 points or it can take over an hour to play. X-Wing at 300 points you'd better have two hours and a hell of a lot of space outside of your 6x3 playing area for the mountain of cards and markers you need to know your squad. Emperor protect you if you have a cat. I love the game but it's no less clunky than 40k at times.

On topic, I would do away with Look Out Sir! rolls. God damn what a waste of a game if you're firing a big unit of artillery at a squad and it happens to land on top of the Warlord. Laborious. Aside from that stop the arms race. Every new release doesn't need to be better than the last, it needs to be as good and offer those collectors fun avenues of growth for their armies and games.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Last edited by ntaw; 09-09-16 at 03:08 AM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-16, 03:10 AM

DaughterOfHorus's Flag is: Scotland

More tactical orientated game play would be awesome.
Old Man78 likes this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-16, 07:20 AM

I'd like to go back to buying specific psychic powers. It made psykers so much more useful when you could plan round what they had. But nowadays, all you'd see is the most powerful powers all the time.
Electrodisplacement and writhing worldscape everywhere - So on that basis, I'd like to see a complete overhaul of the psychic powers.
Balance them all out and then be able to pay for specific ones.
If GW can manage that, I'll ask them for world peace next
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-19-16, 08:00 AM

- A flying creature that opts to jinx will make a disorderer charge on the following turn, in addition to snap fire.
- Absolutely NO kind of save that succeeds on a 2+ can be rerolled under any circumstances
- drop D weapons or rewrite them entirely
- nerf ridiculous monstrous creatures rules, esp. compared to vehicles
- publish all codex at the same time and write them all together, with real mutual playesting and balance in mind

Ok, i know that the above is pure fantasy, esp. the last point.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-16, 01:32 AM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I dunno mate ómaybe not the last one, but the rest seem not too ridiculous (granted, this is GW)

Crimson Tears
Win Ratio: 5-2-2 (7th)

Wood Elves (Plog)
Win Ratio: 6-3-1 (new book)

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-16, 10:16 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by diomede.80 View Post
- publish all codex at the same time and write them all together, with real mutual playesting and balance in mind

Ok, i know that the above is pure fantasy, esp. the last point.
Honestly, they should have done this years ago when publishing was actually relevant. Right now GW's rules should be a free "service."

GW can publish books for illustration and fluff purposes but the rules should be available as a Web service. There's no reason GW can't manage the rules and especially the points values online. They should be in a curated database where the values are adjusted as the game changes. There should be no "meta." The points should be statistically a 0 sum game. If a new powerful army is added the relative value of other armies should be adjusted to compensate.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.

Last edited by Kreuger; 09-22-16 at 10:22 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-16, 06:06 PM
Ranty ranter!

MetalHandkerchief's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I know this is pie in the sky, but get rid of the stupid AP system and go back so save modifiers. It made the game balance far more subtle and nuanced.
While we're at it, let's get the per-vehicle unique damage charts back.

Nothing better than sniping the driver of a Land Speeder out of his seat with a single retreating Grot who had to hit on a 7+ and the gunner failing to take over the controls (this actually happened in 2nd to me)
Likewise, it doesn't make sense for a Wraithlord to be stunned.

I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To become a better man
~MUSE - Hoodoo

Last edited by MetalHandkerchief; 12-17-16 at 06:08 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 04:08 PM

djpiper28's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
I am seeing on da webz that an 8th edition is nigh,
and many are posting hopes online.

I propose that we post 1 or 3 single sentences.

Mine:

1) Cut the randomness in stuff that affects army character, e.g. psychic powers, warlord traits, and pay points instead.

2) Offer guidelines for alternate unit activation play.

3) Lost hull points should equate with lost effectiveness on the battlefield...
I want vehicles to be stronger as a ghost ark can be one shot and still cost 105 points. So I think that when a vehicle has an explosion on the roll of a one it looses all hull points and a 2+ it looses an extra hull point as if it was glanced - no saves aloud.

When in doubt 'LOCK BAYONETS!'01000100 01100001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01101101 01100101 01101101 01100101 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100100 01100001 01111001 00100001
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 05:34 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpiper28 View Post
I want vehicles to be stronger as a ghost ark can be one shot and still cost 105 points. So I think that when a vehicle has an explosion on the roll of a one it looses all hull points and a 2+ it looses an extra hull point as if it was glanced - no saves aloud.
WOW... getting an explosion is hard enough in 7th, and you want to make it harder? You do realize that only Lascannons and Melta weapons can one shot you right?

Just be happy that an Autocannon, or Missile Launchers, can't one shot stuff anymore.

----

If your idea does happen, I can be happy that Rhinos, chimeras, and raiders are going to be super effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode