Legion Accents - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-16, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Default Legion Accents

Now, obviously, the Legions come from various planets which have their own dialects and languages and as a result, when speaking Gothic, they would have accents which don't exist in our world.

But lets assume that each Legion has its own particular accent based on current world languages. What would you apply to each Legion.

If I were making a movie about the HH, this is what I would go with.

Night Lords are South African in my mind. There's something about the South African accent that would just work well with a bunch of murderers. Sorry to any South Africans here, I do love the accent (I really do), but it just fits so well with psychopaths.

Just imagine Talos or Sevatar threatening to skin someone with an accent like this...

World Eaters have always been Russian to me.

I'd imagine Imperial Fists to have a very clean British accent.

Ultramarines would fittingly have either an Italian or Greek accent.

Word Bearers, given their arabic appearance would probably have an appropriate accent.

Again, with the Thousand Sons, they'd also have an Arabic accent.

Obviously, White Scars would have an Asian accent, but I think I would go with Mongolian over the other Asian possibilities. It has a far more interesting sound to it.

I haven't really considered Legions such as the Iron Hands, Salamanders...etc.

How do you imagine the Legions sounding?

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-16, 03:51 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I'd have Ultramarines with posh English accents. Imperial Fists maybe northern English... which could be all sorts of accents but Geordie, Yorkshire or even south-north accents like Nottingham area would be alright

Iron Warriors; German obviously

Iron Hands- Scottish

Space Wolves... Scandinavian accents seem like the obvious choice but I could also easily imagine them having Scottish or Irish accents

Emperor's Children would sound like Ultramarines (i.e. southern English) but I could also see them with that transatlantic US/English accent... or an older English accent

I can't imagine any Space Marine with a full on North American accent... Luna Wolves? Blood Angels? I don't know... too much of 40k lore is fantasy inspired for modern accents. Catachans are obviously American though

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-16, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I'd have Ultramarines with posh English accents. Imperial Fists maybe northern English... which could be all sorts of accents but Geordie, Yorkshire or even south-north accents like Nottingham area would be alright

Iron Warriors; German obviously

Iron Hands- Scottish

Space Wolves... Scandinavian accents seem like the obvious choice but I could also easily imagine them having Scottish or Irish accents

Emperor's Children would sound like Ultramarines (i.e. southern English) but I could also see them with that transatlantic US/English accent... or an older English accent

I can't imagine any Space Marine with a full on North American accent... Luna Wolves? Blood Angels? I don't know... too much of 40k lore is fantasy inspired for modern accents. Catachans are obviously American though
Hmm....Blood Angels with eastern European accents? They are vampires after all.

Hah, I could imagine Rogal Dorn with a Yorkshire accent.

"Ehup, looks like we be building a bloomin' great wall 'round t' palace."

I can't work out what the Death Guard should sound like. Perhaps they should sound like Cali Girls. Hah.
Brother Emund likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-16, 01:55 PM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Space Wolves - some crazy combination of the Scandinavian countries + Russia...maybe toss in some German too.

Luna Wolves - Gothic (since their home world is really close than the rest of the primarchs)...maybe American/Aussie/kiwi "dialects" compared to Terran gothic (UK English for this example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-16, 10:33 AM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

Salamanders could be North American, a deep New York accent perhaps?

"Yo muther-f#cker, dem darn traitors is a-coming. We is gonna whoop dem arses, bro!"

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-16, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Emund View Post

"Yo muther-f#cker, dem darn traitors is a-coming. We is gonna whoop dem arses, bro!"

Totally. Just imagine a Salamander talking like this...

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-16, 03:17 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Emund View Post

I think you might be confusing dialects and accents. When you say "deep new York" I'm imagining a really strong Brooklyn accent but you're quote suggests a different regional word choice.

I don't mean that judgementally, I'm not great at discerning English regional accents. I can only identify a few regions by accent, but not terribly confidently.
Brother Emund likes this.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-16, 08:55 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
I think you might be confusing dialects and accents. When you say "deep new York" I'm imagining a really strong Brooklyn accent but you're quote suggests a different regional word choice.

I don't mean that judgementally, I'm not great at discerning English regional accents. I can only identify a few regions by accent, but not terribly confidently.
Yep, I think you are right there, Brooklyn or Harlem would be right. Don't worry, I did not take it the wrong way!

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-16, 08:36 PM

DkMiBuch's Flag is: Denmark

Best thread ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn The Complainer View Post

I can't work out what the Death Guard should sound like. Perhaps they should sound like Cali Girls. Hah.
I imagine Death Guard not talking too much, but then they do it'll be with a Dutch accent.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-16, 08:14 AM

Gorthol's Flag is: England

Nobody going for cockney marines?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode