Staring New Armies. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Al-Ma'arri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-16, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Default Staring New Armies.

I had sold most of my 40k stuff because I just didn't play anymore and It was too expensive at the time for me to start the armies I was really interested in.
With new rules about allies I've gotten back into 40k recently and had a few questions about these armies I've never played and wanted to start.

I wanted to run a sort of general imperium list, skitarii , space marines, astra militarum together. These are just the armies I like the look of and had sort of grabbed at random. The issue being I'm not sure if this is possible with the allies rules and on top of that I've not sure it would just be a bit of a cluster. I mean to run that list I would need to know the rules from at least 3 rule books and use them in junction with one another. The space marines would more or less form the core of the army with skitarii and guard as support. Is this a terrible idea ? Is that going to be op?

I was also interested in maybe including some tau but under the current rules as far as I know the Tau are not battlebrothers with the imperium so i'm pretty sure I can't do a whole lot with them there. I have 50 tau fire warriors and 1 cadre fire blade that I'm not sure what to do with at this moment.

I appreciate any feedback.
Scrunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-16, 12:54 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

Hey mate,

I am running skitarii regularly at the moment, and they make... ok... allies. They have squishy/crunchy untransported infantry but are really deadly at 18 inches (running vanguard) and have excellent snipers who can shoot pretty much the whole board.

My games lately have been imperial knight, skitarii, Grey Knights, so three books. I would advise getting to know each army first, so perhaps play some small games with each. This way, you learn the armies and don't need to crack three codexes all the time to look for rules, which will really slow you down. Once you've got a good memory of each army though, I highly endorse it! You may notice I'm something of a guard fanatic, so with their artillery formation from Mont'ka, a space marine formation and a skitarii detachment or dominus maniple formation, you should have a good army at 1750 - 2500 points!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-16, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqiel View Post
Hey mate,

I am running skitarii regularly at the moment, and they make... ok... allies. They have squishy/crunchy untransported infantry but are really deadly at 18 inches (running vanguard) and have excellent snipers who can shoot pretty much the whole board.

My games lately have been imperial knight, skitarii, Grey Knights, so three books. I would advise getting to know each army first, so perhaps play some small games with each. This way, you learn the armies and don't need to crack three codexes all the time to look for rules, which will really slow you down. Once you've got a good memory of each army though, I highly endorse it! You may notice I'm something of a guard fanatic, so with their artillery formation from Mont'ka, a space marine formation and a skitarii detachment or dominus maniple formation, you should have a good army at 1750 - 2500 points!
That sounds like a pretty good idea! I need to build up my guard and space marines more to get a nice formation going. Currently most of my official minis are actually Tau and I've been proxying a guard army from various sources. I'm starting to wonder if the Astra Militarum would make a better core of the army than the space marines.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode