Opinions on Spartan Assault Tank, and a long time wish! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Default Opinions on Spartan Assault Tank, and a long time wish!

Hey Folks

I am looking for a way to deliver a large number of Khorne Bezerkers quickly up to my opponents deployment zone. I have looked at a few options, and I wonder what everyone's thoughts are on using Spartans. Are they worth the points? Do they hold up? Does their size make assaulting harder?

Any other suggestions I may have missed would be welcome as well.

Last thing:

Why can't GW make a stripped down Land Raider. Remove the Hull mount and the sponsons. Just have a single pintle mounted Multi-melta and a 20-25 transport capacity. This couldn't need to be more than 200pts right?

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 10:27 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I quite like the spartan. Looks good on paper at least, and it's a cool option to carry extra terminators or larger units. Things like strength D would make me a bit wary though... I'd much prefer if the big units walking around with strength D close combat attacks didn't all move 12"

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-16, 02:27 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Things like D-strength and mass haywire and grav and melta really make me wary of sinking so many points into a single tank. When most folks are building their lists to be able to take down Knights... a Spartan isn't all that different.

That said, an assault vehicle that isn't the overpriced, small-capacity, drunken-weapon-combo Land Raider is very welcome!

...I just might rather take the Fire Raptor, since that dodges most anti-tank by the anti-tank having to snap fire against it, at least until the passengers unload. Of course, having to start in Reserve and not coming on until possibly T2, disembarking T3... is not exactly "quickly" delivered into the enemy deployment. Only "securely."

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-16, 11:10 AM

Did you mean the Storm Eagle?

I went for the storm eagle - even without carrying passengers, that plane helps my chaos as it normally ruins whatever it shoots when it arrives.
It's not cheap though and if it lands to disembark a squad it tends to get shot in short order.
I found the best tactic for me was to rush a load of berzerkers across the table and use las predators/obliterators and the storm eagle to remove all the armour threats so it just became a punch up when the berzerkers actually hit. Taking demon allies and throwing a DP and a BT at the opposition gives them enough other units to worry about killing on turn 1 and two that the berzerkers aren't seen as an immediate enough threat.

I've not fought a Spartan in a while but it just doesn't fill me with fear. It's a lot of points to get 1 squad across the table. I've beat lists with them by completely ignoring them before and just removing everything else on the table.
They're better in 30k IMO.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 06:02 AM

tu_shan82's Flag is: Australia

They definitely became a lot more viable with the single grenade nerf in the new faq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
We don't need to use any military force to defeat the imperium, we'll just send GW legal at them. As soon as they see the first sign of a thunderhawk gunship, their IP infringement addled brains will go into meltdown - they'll smash everything out of the sky with cease and desist letters.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 08:04 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu_shan82 View Post
They definitely became a lot more viable with the single grenade nerf in the new faq.
This.

In regards to the sparta, I find it worth the points due to the increased points capacity and the improved loadout, plus the extra hull point, compared to a land raider. I would never take a standard land raider, but I will take a spartan.

It's all personal opinion in the end - I have had much success with my proxied sparta, to such a degree that I cannot make any excuses anymore and have to buy one
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 09:49 AM
Closet Dictator

Oldman78's Flag is: Ireland

Its a super cool looking tank, doooooooo iiiiiiiit

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 05:02 PM

What about the fw dreadclaw? Holds 20 'zerks, comes from reserves on turn one, deepsrikes and squad can assault after deployment. Also can choose to land on opponent vehicle with no chance of missing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 07:49 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

That's the fist of khorn formation. 20 zerkers in a karbis
image.jpeg
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-16, 08:20 PM

Ok, yeah..that's the thing I was thinking of. I've only been on receiving end

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode