Thoughts about Chaos - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

LordofFenris's Flag is: USA

Default Thoughts about Chaos

So, after a long hiatus from 40k I have returned. I play Crimson Fists solely right now and I am currently building a Khorne Daemonkin army and have run across a few things.

What happened to Chaos? They appear to have so many dead entries in their codices. I also noticed they still do not have stock non Forgeworld drop pods.

What are everyone else thoughts on Chaos now? Any good rumors I may not have heard? Is there a new codex coming?

I am so behind. Thanks!

"Take a moment, please. Ponder the depths of your insignificance."

"It would be disappointing if you were unable to overcome this simplest of defenses. Hilarious, but disappointing."

Crimson Fists (C:SM)
Necrons
Khorne Daemonkin

Other
WARMAHORDES (Skorne, Blindwater Congregation, Retribution of Scyrah)
DROPZONE COMMANDER (PHR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 08:49 AM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

The state of chaos is poor at the moment. Basically you have to cherry pick between daemonkin, core codex, cs and the black supliment, and daemons. To stand a half chance.
Unfortunately csm are just to points expensive for sub standard marines.
And the rumour mill is saying next year for a new dex.
Don't get me wrong you can win with chaos, you just have to work very hard.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 09:28 AM

Ravion's Flag is: USA

Yep I have a hard time winning in normal games but not with ZM games. I've play 6 ZM games and won 3 of them. The other 3 were against 30k Iron warriors and 1 game of 40k Iron Hands and even then I gave them hard time.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 12:45 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Not managed to play zone mortalis yet.
I've managed to beat necrons the last couple of times I have played them. But they were all very dull games. Fortunately I managed to kill his mobile units. But necrons just don't die it's very frustrating.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 04:17 PM

Iraqiel's Flag is: Australia

My advice is to play chaos for love, not for money.

Chaos can be good at elite infantry - Nurgle lists excel at tarpitting so long as they can move to the right spot and don't get instant death killed.

Khornate lists... just do Codex Khorne Daemon Kin, it actually works that way.

Slaneesh has excellent mid-range firepower and can be alright in assault, but still suffers from 'mediocre at best' in each category.

Tzeench lists are rather competitive, with mass daemon summoning and a conspicuous absence of rubric marines as they don't really add anything much...

Crimson Slaughter have some cool mixed formations, such as the cultist/helbrute combo and some of the daemon engine combinations.

Black Legion has nothing I am aware of to recommend itself except awesome fluff (Thanks ADB!)

Combining flavours has problems thanks to the mediocrity of units. They are elite infantry or capable SM or Daemon vehicles, but putting them to good use takes practice and skill, and setting them against their counterparts from other codexes ends up with dead chaos marines.

Interesting times!

Iraqiel

Check out my Imperial Guard Battle-Group-in-the-making as it slowly takes form! Located just here:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...my&army_id=705

And my collection of all things - particularly Grey Knights; Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129966
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 01:03 AM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofFenris View Post
So, after a long hiatus from 40k I have returned. I play Crimson Fists solely right now and I am currently building a Khorne Daemonkin army and have run across a few things.

What happened to Chaos? They appear to have so many dead entries in their codices. I also noticed they still do not have stock non Forgeworld drop pods.

What are everyone else thoughts on Chaos now? Any good rumors I may not have heard? Is there a new codex coming?

I am so behind. Thanks!
Take an MEQ army that's still designed for 4th edition, while paying 5th edition points costing for everything, then try not to cry too much when you realise it's now 7.5ed and the game left you behind about 8-9 years ago!
Oh, and enjoying paying the lovely "Chaos Tax" while trying to assemble your army... Most of your units are still Failcast/hybrid kits, certain units still don't even have an actual kit yet, and the bare handful of plastic kits we do have only come with barely 50% of your basic options, if you're lucky.

Now to add insult to injury, realise that Loyalist scum do everything we're supposed to be good at and that defines us, only about 100x better.

Welcome to the misery that is the Chaos cesspool of "GW hates villains and you're whole point for existing is to make Little Timmy feel awesome about his ultra powerful Speesh Muhreeens".

And for even more lols, our model range, as awful as it is, is now slowly disappearing! (though hopefully this means that the long overdue purge & re-boot is now only 8-10 months away!)

The one thing that Chaos players do better than everyone else however, is that we Forge the Narrative harder & more epically than anyone else, since we're now every bit as spiteful, embittered, and hateful of those Loyalist ***** as our background says we are!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 02:56 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
And for even more lols, our model range, as awful as it is, is now slowly disappearing! (though hopefully this means that the long overdue purge & re-boot is now only 8-10 months away!)

The one thing that Chaos players do better than everyone else however, is that we Forge the Narrative harder & more epically than anyone else, since we're now every bit as spiteful, embittered, and hateful of those Loyalist ***** as our background says we are!
Ahem.

Hello heretic scum. Can I interest you in supporting the Ecclesiarchy? Benefits of a donation include being made of strong metal instead of puny plastics, no new models for over a decade, half of your old range including your only transport disappearing from sale. Donate now, and we'll throw in no AA at all to shoot down those Emperor-damned Helldrakes.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 02:59 PM
experiment 626's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Ahem.

Hello heretic scum. Can I interest you in supporting the Ecclesiarchy? Benefits of a donation include being made of strong metal instead of puny plastics, no new models for over a decade, half of your old range including your only transport disappearing from sale. Donate now, and we'll throw in no AA at all to shoot down those Emperor-damned Helldrakes.
While Sisters are easily the most hard-done by army, they've also always been a 'fringe army', similar to the likes of Catachans, Inquisition, Harlies, Genesneaker Cults, etc...

Chaos on the other hand is probably the single most important faction to the entire setting, as it is THE antagonist around which the entire setting revolves... It is the ultimate threat to absolutely everyone. The Old Ones were devoured by the Warp Entities spawned during the 'War in Heaven'. The Necrons went into stasis in part because of the birthing of the Gods. The birth of Slaanesh crushed the Eldar empire of old, and she remains their inevitable doom. It was the Chaos Gods who broke the power of the Emperor and the fledgling human Imperium, and now doomed humanity to a slow & inevitable demise. Even the Tyranids are not immune to the mutating effects of daemonic warp-plagues!
Everyone has reason to fear the Chaos Gods and their servants, and yet, this fight is also a futile one, as Chaos can never be destroyed - the inevitable victory can only be delayed.

Chaos Marines are the most recognisable face of that force, and are considered one of the 'Big 4' armies alongside Loyalist Marines, Orks & Eldar.

Both armies are actually to the point of needing full-on 100% overhauls, but guess what? I'm sorry to say that CSM's are simply far more important than Sisters of Bitter, and always will be.
40k can exist fine if Sisters go the way of Squats.
The setting itself would need a huge re-boot/overhaul if Chaos Marines were to suddenly disappear!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 03:12 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I play Chaos Marines, Chaos Daemons and Daemonkin - Honestly, you can stand up to pretty much anything bar the toughest tournament lists with a combination of the above. You can make some awesome fluffy lists, and you have a lot of variety in your armies.

Chaos Marines are in a bit of a tough spot, but they can work great as allies or together with the other armies as allies. They are a bit old in their rules though, so they will be a tad begind the other out there.

Chaos Daemons are completely fine and can be a very fun army to play. You can go monster mash, swarm, psyker heavy and all in between. You can field 4 different lists that don't even feel like the same army if you do it well enough.

Khorne Daemonkin are, what the title of the army suggests, the epitome of Khorne. It's across the board as fast as you can and kill crap. If you loose something along the way, hey it doesn't matter, as you can use that loss to buff the rest of your army.

By using Imperial Armor 13 from Forgeworld, you will have access to droppods via the Dreadclaw, if that's your thing. You also have access to knights from Forgeworld.

In short, if you love Chaos (Like I do) you have plenty of options to choose from - And it's still funny as all hell
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-16, 06:01 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by experiment 626 View Post
While Sisters are easily the most hard-done by army, they've also always been a 'fringe army', similar to the likes of Catachans, Inquisition, Harlies, Genesneaker Cults, etc...
I'm not going to disagree that CSM are a core faction, but just because something is a fringe faction on the table (usually because it's poorly or not supported leading to little or no real way to play it, like the old The Lost and the Damned armies) doesn't make them a fringe in the setting. The Ministorum is one of the richest and most influental organizations in the Imperium with massively deep pockets for example and really should reflect more on the table, not less.

That aside I don't really know if we need a measuring contest on who has it worse and how bad X army has it is more important than how bad Y army has it. It sucks for everyone and I don't think we need to spend time pretending it doesn't.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode