Bad 40k Gamers and Store Experiences - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-16, 08:42 PM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
As a store owner...

Here's the thing about kids. They're the future of the business. Yes, they can be annoying. I have a "no unsupervised children" rule for a reason (and that reason is that an unsupervised children punched me in the nuts a few months ago...), but I also recognize that the longevity of my business relies not on gamers who use my space, but on the continued support and development of the greater local community. And that starts and ends with parents and kids.

I would imagine that it's not that this store owner doesn't consider you a valuable customer (every customer is valuable in their own way) but is trying to maintain a balance that is very political and doesn't necessarily appear so to the broader customer base. Running a game store successfully is -not- an easy job.

The Forge World attitude is perpetuated by store owners. We can't order it, and we can't sell it, so why would we promote it? It's also heavily pirated. For my part, I believe in allowing you to play with Forge World models if you've bought them. But I can sniff out a recast from a mile away and I require a physical copy of the rules if it's going to be on a store table. That gives everyone a nice middle ground-- if you want to play with the stuff you can-- but it has to be legit and you have to have the rules available for everyone to see at any time. So you don't see a lot of it. But people are happy, on the whole, to play with it here. I allow after-market bits (re: Chapterhouse and stuff like that) on my tables. I do not allow Dreamforge Leviathans or third party models that are clearly intended to be substitutes for things that my store sells as a partner with Games Workshop. As a shareholder with Games Workshop, I am fairly relaxed on the subject-- most store owners who are shareholders won't even allow third party bits because it's explicity competing with our ability to earn a living. I'm just not a hypocrite and am not going to tell people they can't use those bits on GW kits when I myself have plenty of heads from Anvil Industries, terrain from dozens of non-GW manufacturers, etc.
Man, thanks for your perspective on this. I never would've considered the business side of things. I can totally get where you're coming from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-16, 07:02 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Armiger View Post
Wow. Okay, I keep hearing stories about Ork players. I've never been against an Ork player, ever. It's starting to sound more common.

Warning, mildly bothersome question incoming:

Are they like the Dark Angels as an army- and attract manchildren?
I think youre mistaken. My understanding of the story was that the Space Marine player was the one who was shouting waaaagh and jumping about.

But thanks for trying to perpetuate the stereotype.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-16, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Brother Armiger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Horus View Post
As a store owner...
Because of your insight on this matter, I feel a bit better. If your store will allow me to purchase things and have them shipped- I'd like a link to it. I might be in the market for a bit of scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
I think youre mistaken. My understanding of the story was that the Space Marine player was the one who was shouting waaaagh and jumping about.

But thanks for trying to perpetuate the stereotype.
I believe in a lot of stereotypes. Mainly because, I challenge every person to defy them. All it takes is one to not be a goober, and I change my opinion.

I said myself, I've never played against someone that uses Orks. I have encountered quite a few Dark Angels players, and every one of them has made me cringe and annoyed me.

I will, however, say that the absolute worst players don't stick to one particular army... they get the 'best' army at the moment and drop it whenever something else comes along.

Last edited by Brother Armiger; 03-30-16 at 08:53 AM.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-16, 10:12 AM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

Was indeed the space marine player who was causing the issue, although the space marines look like they'd been dipped in the paint pot, so maybe there was some ork under there somewhere.

I generally find ork players to be very pleasant, with an interesting trend towards bearded gentlemen of short to medium height. Their general attitude to games seems to be "Let's throw some models down and see how it goes!" which I find to be a refreshing break from the occasional power gamer.

As a Space Marine player myself I feel the burn from Dark Angels (Plasma hurts my feelings), but my local dangles player is a very good friend of mine so we tend to get along regardless.

I've not noticed much of a trend of power gamers with certain armies, if people want to cheese they'll find a way to do it (my favourite example being a Tyranid tournament list that fields 6 flying Hive Tyrants), but at the opposite end of the spectrum I've had a Dark Eldar player completely re-write his list to give one of my poorly thought out (but fluffy!) armies a fighting chance, which made for a very good game in the end.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-16, 02:48 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Armiger View Post
Because of your insight on this matter, I feel a bit better. If your store will allow me to purchase things and have them shipped- I'd like a link to it. I might be in the market for a bit of scenery.

Sure thing, just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it. There's no formal link or anything like that-- Games Workshop contracts prohibit online storefronts.

ASK ME HOW TO GET 20% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!
My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-16, 08:00 AM
VictorLazarus's Flag is: United Kingdom

My worst gaming experience was probably in the store I worked at. (which will remain nameless)

I ran the gaming evening every week and there were some generally mean and bullying people. For actual fun games I secretly attended another gaming club on another day.

Some people are just jerks, and it's very vexing when you 'have' to be around them.

Also, I don't like it when people ignore balance. Like when some high roller plays a little kid, smashes his basic troops (which is all he owns) with the best units money can buy. Then thinks he's the hottest tactician in history.

Then again, that's partially the games error. But bad sportsmanship grinds my gears.

MVL.

Time does not heal wounds.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-16, 02:26 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

I remember a game i had back in 5th at Chester gw, I had just gotten back in to 40k having not played since 2nd. I had a low power list with some bikes 2 csm squads a defiler and kharn with some bezerkers. He was playing eldar bike council and then some dire avengers in Falcons or wave serpents. The last turn came around and kharne had butchered all his bikes and psychers. Then he decided it was totally legal to land on top of a bastion which contained my csm squad with his avengers in their skimmer and assault said csm. The game ended a draw due to him contesting an objective on the bastion.
I should have realised at the time but I was a noob and still too amused by the look on his face as kharne had dispatched his unkillable farseer unit.
Don't get me wrong, I am pretty competitive, but i would never bring a waac list to a pick up game with a stranger. Funnily enough I wondered why at the time he made a pretty sharp exit after the game ended. But hey there are dicks in every walk of life.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-16, 01:35 PM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLazarus View Post
.....Also, I don't like it when people ignore balance. Like when some high roller plays a little kid, smashes his basic troops (which is all he owns) with the best units money can buy. Then thinks he's the hottest tactician in history.

Then again, that's partially the games error. But bad sportsmanship grinds my gears.

MVL.
The problem with that situation is, and I have witnessed examples myself, is that it teaches the kids that that behaviour is not only acceptable, but expected. He has planted the seed of the next jerk.

Back when I started out in 40k, owning only a handful of orks from the box set, a big mek with SAG, some lootas and nothing else, I remember playing a guy who regularly turned up to play me using his TWC, flyers and landraiders.
He regularly used these troops, unbound to hammer everyone, and I watched as the youngsters started to emulate his behaviour. He really was TFG claiming to educate people, but forgetting rules when it suited him, or rules lawyering and making the environment an unpleasant one to play in.
I eventually joined a local adult gaming club, which he was a member of and his shenanigans were not tolerated there. I also picked up and started playing x-wing which seems a lot calmer and more balanced.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode