Dark Angels & Fortifications. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Default Dark Angels & Fortifications.

Strange question.

How would I go about picking Fortifications in a Lion's Strike Force comprised of 3 Detachments?

Do I get one choice per Detachment?

Or can I not take the mat all due to them not being listed in Force Organisation (for the Detachments)?

Many Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 04:11 PM
Rattlehead

You don't get one, as there's no Fortification slot in the Lion's Blade. It's an annoying downside to the Combi-Detachments/Decurions, which as far as I'm aware are all unable to take Fortifications (can you bring a Tidewall in a Hunter Cadre?).

You can bring a Fortification formation as a seperate detachment, but the Fortification Networks all tend to be on the pricey side (best is probably the Promethium Relay Pipes and 1-3 Void Shield Generators, but I think there's one for a Bastion and a bunch of Aegis Lines and another for the Wall of Martyrs). I think there's also a Fortification Detachment included in Stronghold Assault which just lets you slot a fortification into your army as its own detachment, but without the book I couldn't say for sure.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Ah, I see. Do we think this is possibly over-sight/negligence on behalf of GW? Or do you think they genuinely intended to not allow people to take Fortifications in Decurions?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 07:30 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

It's not an oversight.

And no, @MidnightSun , the Tau don't get them in the Hunter.

The key comes from the fact that the Gladius, lion's Blade, Decurion, Hunter's Cadre, etc, are all made up out of FORMATIONS, and not DETACHMENTS.

In a Formation, there are no open slots. At best, you'll see something like '1-2 Unit X, 0-3 Unit Y or Unit Z' (much like the Demi Company). But you'll never relaly have freedom of choice.

In Detachments, you get a force org chart where you get 1-2 HQ, 2-6 Troop, etc (for example). You need something like this to be able to field a Fortification or a Lord of War, as it is specified in that chart.

And also, no, MS, to my knowledge, there's no option for a Fortification Detachment. That's just how Battlescribe adds it to the party. If that were the case, then there wouldn't be any downside to something like a Decurion, because you could just slot the Fortification detachment in with no fear or repercussions.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-16, 12:58 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
And also, no, MS, to my knowledge, there's no option for a Fortification Detachment.
To date there is not. From the Stronghold Assault book:

Quote:
Each datasheet uses up a single fortification slot on the Force Organisation chart.
No Fortification slot, no Fortification :/

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode