Why bother with the new 40k Deathwatch? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-05-16, 10:53 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
In my opinion, if you want to play squad-based combat, you can't beat Necromunda
You're kinda missing the point again. It isn't squad vs. squad but rather squad vs. army. Yes Necromunda is great but that isn't the type of game play I'm talking about.

I also wholeheartedly agree that 40k should be played at higher points; for me it's 1500+. 3k is a real happy place for me to spend 4-7 hours stomping face (or having my face stomped as it may be ).

Again though, custom scenarios to address the imbalance of such an idea since this is not your typical 40k game. Who knows? Maybe one night when I'm wired by being screamed at by my infant son and can't sleep despite it being the best thing ever I'll work something out and post it.

...or I'll just stare at the wall with an eye twitch. Likely that one.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-05-16, 11:58 PM
Feed

Total Deathwatch comes to 535 pts. Using less can save you potentially over a hundred points.

If I understand the objection correctly, it is that the options to field the Deathwatch seem noncompetitive right? You can only field them as a single unit OR as their separate units. Which means you end up with four single models that cannot join units.

Alright. My brother and I were examining this problem last night and we've come to the simplest solution we can. The Deathwatch are an Inquisitor faction set of units, and as such can be allied to any Imperial force. Our immediate thought was Astra Militarum. The Donatus squad can run quite comfortably on its own, all of them are able to advance and shoot and the unit has a good mix of ranged fire options as well as decent cc ability.

Cassius and Natorian are both independent characters, both have their typical unit type rules and special issue ammo. There's no real problem here, they can both join any Imperial unit they want or need to.

The remaining four present the real issue here, however they do seem to be designed with a degree of synergy in mind. Suberei on a bike with a teleport homer is an obvious link to Branatar's terminator deep strike.
Setorax honestly seems like the only one capable of really making any headway on his own, having a +3 to his cover save on the first turn and +1 from then onwards, as well as the ability to jump in movement and assault phases.
Delassio seems to be the most useless. No special cc gear and a lower tier version of a weapon already carried by a more resilient member.

So what did we decide? Easy. We're just not using all of them. Squad Donatus and most likely Natorian will be added to his Astra Militarum as an allied contingent. With an elite slot it is possible that Setorax will be used as well, but when run outside their formation it is not essential to use them all anyway.

Meanwhile, we have models that can be stand ins for other models in his space marine army. His most common opponents are my tyranids and necrons, so it's easy to justify a Deathwatch team being split among his army to provide support and advice. They would look Deathwatch, but just count as members of those units. If no units of their type exist, then they can be counted as characters. In this way none of the models are wasted and having at least one or two actual Deathwatch units helps keep the theme.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 12:22 AM

Tyriks's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
You're kinda missing the point again. It isn't squad vs. squad but rather squad vs. army.
I can see this. Playing one squad (or a handful of individual models) of hyper-elite units against legions of weak enemies would be fun (especially for short games). Making it balanced so it was actually a fair matchup would be tough, since one good roll could really change the game.

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 03:40 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriks View Post
Making it balanced so it was actually a fair matchup would be tough, since one good roll could really change the game.
That's kind of the glory of it. If nothing else it's a quick do over with a better plan (assuming the mission works the way it should anyway).

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-06-16, 07:35 AM
jin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
In my opinion, if you want to play squad-based combat, you can't beat Necromunda
yes. right.
absolutely.

some have been waiting for a Necromunda-upscaled to 1500+points of 40k for a long time...
RPG elements, delivering special abilities such as those rules developed for this current deathwatch box,
and with escalation as a decision map to collecting armies.
dunno how GW management had missed this formula, but they have and often and not by much really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode