Vanguard Veterans - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Default Vanguard Veterans

I have decided to purchase a 5 man vanguard veteran squad and I was wondering if storm shield were worth the points. The reason why I'm asking is because is it really worth losing an extra attack or not. The weapons would be sergeant relic blade, power sword, power axe, thunder hammer and a pair of lightning claws (which obviously wouldn't include a storm shield. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 07:22 PM
Rattlehead

I recently played a small game against a guy who had 5 Vanguard with Relic Blade on the Sergeant, 4 Thunder Hammers, Storm Shields and Jump Packs. They wiped my Warlord's unit, running it down in melee, since the Boyz weren't high enough strength/in enough numbers to hurt them too much and the Power Klaw just skidded off them (and they rolled quite high, to be fair).

They're extremely expensive, and I'm not sure you'd need the whole squad armed that way, but they're fairly effective when used as a scalpel unit, or to murderate something that's broken through your line and is threatening the rest of your army.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Cheers that's a very good point

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 08:40 PM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

You know what a Storm Shield gives you? A 3+ save. You know what a 14pt Marine has? Yeah. A 3+ save.

So a boltgun kills a 50pt Vanguard Marine with Hammer and Shield just as easily as a 14pt Tac Marine, which is why I don't like Vanguard very much at all, specially since they lost the ability to hide in melee the turn they arrived.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-14, 09:10 PM
Rattlehead

On the other hand, a Nob with Power Klaw drastically evens a combat in favour of the Orks who can struggle with Marines if they're charged, while a Power Klaw is likely to bounce off Storm Shields.

Toe be honest, when a Vanguard with Storm Shield costs more than an Assault Terminator with the a 2+ armour save and a Thunder Hammer, you really need to think about how much you need the mobility offered by a Jump Pack and whether the thing you want them to fight can't be killed by something else.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 02:09 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Murderate! That's and instant classic

Add to Vanguard the ability to Sweeping Advance if you're comparing them to Assault Terminators.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 02:25 AM

fatmantis's Flag is: New Zealand

as most people have stated is the cost..and comparison...but as usual nobody has add tactics or strategy..
my question is..what is their job? what do you hope them do accomplish? are they support?front line combatants etc..
the reason i ask is i never tell people not to use any model..yes some model are better but my belief is if yuo tool them right and in the right numbers and have a sound strategy for them go for it...
my only things would be
:a getting the numbers of troops right...5 is too little..7-8 is probably about right..
b: give them the weapons need for the job they are intendend for

the other thing i would suggest is giving them a chaplin..just for the rerolls on the combat..they are an expensive unit so youll want maximum amount of damage output
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 02:37 AM

Tugger's Flag is: Canada

They seem kind of like Chosen to me. If you gear them up, they can be a devastating precision strike unit, just like MidnightSun was saying. But as the player you gotta determine if that outweighs the exorbitant price cost. If terminators can fill the same role, and last longer, AND cost less, why not take terminators and either add in more models to your army/upgrades to other units?

Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt though, last time I had a SM army was 4th ed. So I may have no idea what I am talking about.

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all."

Primarch Mortarion
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 02:54 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Personally I think I would play Vanguard Vets out of a Land Raider or Stormraven kitted with 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Power Axes, and Storm Shields for all. 220 points seems reasonable for a 3++ squad of AP3/AP2 attacks that can Sweep, and either delivery system has their own uses to offer.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 03:00 AM

Tugger's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Personally I think I would play Vanguard Vets out of a Land Raider or Stormraven kitted with 3x Lightning Claws, 2x Power Axes, and Storm Shields for all. 220 points seems reasonable for a 3++ squad of AP3/AP2 attacks that can Sweep, and either delivery system has their own uses to offer.
Completely forgot that a SS is 3++. That point cost is absolutely worth it for that survivability IMO.

"Pain is an illusion of the senses, fear an illusion of the mind, beyond these only death waits as silent judge o'er all."

Primarch Mortarion

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode