Vanguard Veterans - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 08:47 PM
Rattlehead

Ancient thread, fellas.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 11:01 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I see no issue with the thread being opened again with legitimate questions and responses. Carry on.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 08:36 AM
Beaker's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks scscofield, I know its an old thread but I thought it was better to use this one as it sort of covers my query. Or is it better to start a new thread in this case?

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 08:59 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Thanks scscofield, I know its an old thread but I thought it was better to use this one as it sort of covers my query. Or is it better to start a new thread in this case?
Resurrecting a thread is fine so long as you can add to the discussion continue the thread's purpose.

I have not seen vanguard vets in any of my recent encounters, but from what I understand of SM tactics and loadouts the principle advantage they have is the ability to take multiple specialized cc weapons.
So, for this to be worthwhile I would opt for taking at least three power weapons. To avoid going overboard on points, two swords and two axes, or have one of them be a powerfist. Total squad number would probably be eight, and the extra four guys would be standard issue.
I like to avoid tooling up the sergeant in squads like these, since it prevents the swift removal of one of my special weapons via challenges.

Tactics wise, I think these guys need to be supported by a tac squad in a rhino at least, something that can pick up the slack if they find themselves heavily targeted.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 06:05 PM
Beaker's Flag is: United Kingdom

Thanks Serpion5,

Would you use any storm shields or plasma pistols/grav pistols?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-16, 06:57 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unfortunately the pistols didn't fall under the category of reduced price weapons, and as such don't seem very viable to me.

Which is a shame, because I really like the look of them.

Big fan of Stormshields, but then I play alot of marine players who tend to rely on good AP rather than Mathhammer, so not always a wise investment.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-16, 02:14 AM
Feed

Storm shields are expensive, and only come into play when you lock into combat with enemy units toting power weapons or monstrous creatures. They have their uses, but in general I think they're a point sink.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-16, 02:58 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ storm shields are a flat 3+ invuln, pretty handy in all phases of the game. Plus at 5x2 points per in Vanguard squads they're not terribly expensive.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-16, 04:24 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
^ storm shields are a flat 3+ invuln, pretty handy in all phases of the game. Plus at 5x2 points per in Vanguard squads they're not terribly expensive.
I see a veteran squad tooled up like this to anywhere between 150-200 pts, and my first instinct is to drown them in termagants. I will outnumber you immeasurably for the same points cost or less, and chances are I will win that protracted combat. What do your storm shields mean to termagants? Nothing.

Things like this are why stormshields are not an automatic winning choice. Against a swarm like that you'd be lamenting the extra attacks you lost. It is my opinion that extra bodies and extra attacks make better points investments than making a single wound model more resilient than its default.

I feel the only worthwhile storm shield users are characters that provide a buff or debuff, a handy warlord trait or special rule that benefits your army more than just the damage he will do. Librarians, chapter masters, and the rough equivalents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
Thanks Serpion5,

Would you use any storm shields or plasma pistols/grav pistols?
Sorry, missed this. I'd go with pistols. Two at most so your squad doesn't get too heavy on points. Bear in mind you will definitely want to be proactive with this choice.

Last edited by Serpion5; 03-25-16 at 04:28 AM.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-16, 04:50 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

I personally prefer to have weapons strike at initiative when I have marines - so dual lightning claws, or power weapons + pistols - maybe have 1 with a TH/SS so he can tank MCs/Dreads

In general though if I am fighting something of that caliber I don't send vanguard vets at them, terminators or devastators are way better pending the role desired.

----

Plasma pistols are ungodly expensive...ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode