Vanguard Veterans - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
General 40k This is the place to talk about everything related to Warhammer 40k.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

For 300 points I can get a sergeant with relic blade and storm shield, a power axe and storm shield, a power sword and storm shield, a thunder hammer storm shield and finally a pair of lightning claws and jump packs and melta bombs for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 11:48 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

The way I've used them recently is in a Storm Raven. 10 men WITHOUT Jump Packs and a Chaplain for Zealot with a couple of Power Fists. Works well to really finish off a crumbling flank, or support your centre.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 02:33 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I like that Stormraven loadout, @Sethis . Glad to see Chaplains are getting their good use again, Zealot was such a waste in 6th.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Related Projects

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 04:10 PM

It would still be a Libby, ideally, but now you can't Bless from inside a transport (fucking retarded rule) and powers are a lot less reliable so the Chaplain gets a dust off.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-14, 10:14 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
It would still be a Libby, ideally, but now you can't Bless from inside a transport (fucking retarded rule)
Why does that actually matter?

I don't know of any Blessings that you could cast inside a transport that would last until you got out - as it stands, you disembark then fire off your Blessings or whatever.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-14, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Why does that actually matter?

I don't know of any Blessings that you could cast inside a transport that would last until you got out - as it stands, you disembark then fire off your Blessings or whatever.
It means if you have, say, Fortune or Invisibility, then you can't keep them up while embarked. So when you get shot down you don't have the buff up. Unlike last edition where you could benefit from things like Prescience even when someone destroyed your transport and assaulted you.

There's also the whole randomness aspect which wasn't present before.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-14, 05:51 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
It means if you have, say, Fortune or Invisibility, then you can't keep them up while embarked. So when you get shot down you don't have the buff up. Unlike last edition where you could benefit from things like Prescience even when someone destroyed your transport and assaulted you.

There's also the whole randomness aspect which wasn't present before.
That's fair enough, but on the other hand, Fortune or Invisibility wouldn't help you any when you were shot down anyway. Str10 AP2 autohits for dudes inside Flyers, I believe?

Randomness is indeed a big new factor, as is being able to Deny said blessings.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-14, 06:43 PM

It's more of a general shift away from Psykers in transports for several reasons, rather than that specific circumstance. I find the Chaplain is performing better for me overall.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 09:54 AM
Beaker's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hi,

I have been reading with interest through the various posts on this thread - I have a set of the older finecast vanguard models and also a set of the newer plastic models. I was thinking of making a 10 man squad to use in my Ultramarines army. I know that this may not be very competitive but I always liked the sculpts of the finecast models and want to build and paint up a vanguard squad.

I am not sure how to loadout this squad and was thinking along the lines of:-

A front row of 5 veterans with storm shields and bolt pistols
A rear row of 5 veterans with bolt pistols and power weapons (still not sure which ones to pick)
Are plasma pistols totally out for using with this squad - as some of the finecast models come with these weapons or should I remove these?

Should the sergeant be in the front or back row?

I was thinking of using either a Chaplain with jump pack or the Lord Executioner model along with this squad?

Sorry for so many questions and not fully understanding / being confused with all the advice given in the posts.
Thanks in advance.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-16, 01:31 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I run the following:

Sergeant with TH/SS
Fisticlaw
Claw / SS
Claw / Claw
Claw / Claw

I also like to throw in a Chaplain with Swiftstrike & Murder ( RG Relics).

As I use RG CTs I almost feel obligated to run around with jump packs, but I can definitely see the potential of this squad without the packs and just throwing them in an assault transport. The build I use above is generally for dealing with anything without a 2+ save, be that either counter attacking deep striking nasties, or charging up the flank shredding things.

Any spare points just throw in a melta bomb or two. They won't solve all of your problems (Hi Wulfen!) and occasionally your opponent will decide he wants them very, very dead; but that usually just means less pain for the rest of your army, so look on the bright side.

I have played with the RG formation that lets you deep strike and charge these guys. I've only done it a couple of times, but I've generally found the psychological effect it has on your opponents play is far more valuable than the actual damage output these guys get from it -if you can pull it off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > General 40k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode