Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Ruminations on the Angel's Blade Formations (BA)

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ntaw 
#1 · (Edited)
Well hello there. So nice of you to stop by for a view, might I interest you in some information on list building within the parameters of the Angel's Blade and Lost Brotherhood Strike Forces? Most excellent.

To start off with, I'm not interested in useless bitching about the book. I'm interested in finding new ways to field my burgeoning BA collection on the tabletop. Regardless of how you feel about the rules offerings within the pages of the Angel's Blade supplement there's a lot of cool stuff we didn't have before (or even got back, as is the case for Fast vehicles with Scout or Chaplains that have the Liturgies [now Rites] of Blood special rule), so if you want ObSec on everything or free transports go buy some blue paint and start practicing your free-hand toilet seats.

Ahem. Now that that's out of the way...

I've organized my collection, including stuff I've always been planning on getting, into three lists so far at 2k each with very different flavours. They are as follows:

List One: 1st Company

Angel's Blade Strike Force

Core

Archangel's Demi-Company

Terminator Captain

Furioso Dreadnought - frag cannon, power fist w. heavy flamer, drop pod

5x man Sternguard squad - 5x combi-meltas, drop pod

5x man Sternguard squad - heavy flamer, drop pod

5x man Sternguard squad - heavy flamer, drop pod

5x man Vanguard squad - storm shield and lightning claw on sergeant, 2x power weapons, jump packs

5x man Terminator squad - chainfist, heavy flamer

Auxiliary

Archangels Orbital Intervention Force

5x man Terminator squad - 3x thunder hammer/storm shield, 2x lightning claws

5x man Terminator squad - 3x thunder hammer/storm shield, 2x lightning claws

5x man Terminator squad - assault cannon​

Only thing I'm unsure of here is the Vanguard squad. I'm going to have at least a five man squad and I kinda want to make them all with power weapons but the points just don't permit it here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I could swap out the OIF for The Golden Host I suppose, that would allow me a few more points spent on the Vanguard but I'd rather save that OH WAIT A SECOND. I just realized Dante's Descent of Angels trait reduces scatter by D6 and so does the Storm of Angels rule, which means no scatter for my boys coming in from Deep Strike and a hell of a lot better chance of getting that charge off even if it counts as disorganized. Interesting.....thoughts?

List 2: 5th Company

Angel's Blade Strike Force

Command

Leaders of the Angelic Host

Mephiston

Command Squad - 3x meltaguns, drop pod

Leaders of the Angelic Host

Sanguinary Priest - lightning claw, jump pack

Core

Battle Demi-Company

Chaplain

10x man Tactical squad - meltagun, heavy flamer, rhino

5x man Assault squad - 2x inferno pistols on sergeant, 2x meltaguns, drop pod

5x man Devastator squad - 4x lascannons

Dreadnought - 2x twin-linked autocannons

Auxiliary

Rapid Assault Force

10x man Assault squad - 2x hand flamers on sergeant, 2x flamers, jump packs

Land Speeder - heavy bolter, typhoon missile launcher

This one makes use of the Sons of Sanguinius rule a bit better with 10 man squads. Mephiston and the Chaplain go with the Command Squad, the Priest rolls with the flamer Assault squad. It makes me happy, but there's not a ton of wiggle room for points with these Strike Force Detachments. They really do give me a "use me at 3k+" vibe but I think I'm getting somewhere with these after a few tries.

List 3: Death Company

Lost Brotherhood Strike Force

Command

Death Company Command

Death Company Chaplain - the Guardian's Blade

Core

Death Company Strike Force

Death Company Chaplain - the Gilded Crozius

6x man Death Company squad - pistols and chainswords, power fist, power sword, jump packs

6x man Death Company squad - pistols and chainswords, power fist, power sword, jump packs

10x man Death Company squad - bolters (pistols with the swords) 2x power fists, 2x power swords

Death Company Dreadnought - power fists, heavy flamer, meltagun, drop pod

Auxiliary

Lucifer Armoured Task Force

Techmarine - servo-harness

Baal Predator - twin-linked assault cannon, heavy bolter sponsons

Baal Predator - twin-linked assault cannon, heavy bolter sponsons

Predator - twin-linked lascannon, lascannon sponsons

Land Raider Redeemer - pintle multi-melta

Rapid Assault Force

Land Speeder - 2x multi-meltas

Land Speeder - heavy bolter, typhoon missile launcher

I love this list. Everything I deploy at the start of the game gets a free 'not a Scout' move, and all the tanks in the LATF have Scout and Fast on top of that (yes, even the friggin' Land Raider). One DCC with each jump DC squad, the 10 man squad rolls in the Redeemer. It pleases me to play this much black armour.

Things I haven't included in these lists that are sure to come out soon enough:

The Golden Host (will definitely be used though)
10th Company Task Force
MOAR Librarians
Chapter Ancients
Stormraven Squadron (I have two, they'll show up about the same time as the Golden Host I'm sure)

Anyway I've got to close this ramble off. I'll keep posting here as I dabble further but by all means if you have any questions or comments post up. I love talkin' me some Blood Angels. :drinks:

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I should add, I got sick of waiting for an update to the BA Battlescribe file so I did it myself. Unfortunately github, the place BS repositories are hosted, is way beyond my will to understand so I have to share the file via dropbox which isn't cery public. If people here on Heresy use Battlescribe for BA lists and there still hasn't been a public update feel free to post up and I can share the link to my current work. I have just about all the kinks worked out at this point so there likely isn't too much to troubleshoot but I'm always interested in feedback (specially on something so fiddly).

I'm actually going to be making all my own Battlescribe files from now on I think, continuing with Genestealer Cult. I'm sure someone else will do it but it's interesting to me so hey, why not eh?

In other news, I'm starting to realize I have almost 8k in Bangles. At what point do you call a collection complete?

.....never :biggrin:

#4 ·
Ooooohhhhh mahgoodness. The LAT is almost hands down the best Formation in the book in my opinion. It's expensive, like them all, but so good. Such fast. And in the Lost Brotherhood? 24" of movement on the first turn. Bam.

As for the 8k...I own almost everything in all three of those lists and am planning on selling just about everything to finish it off those guys (for now hahahaha) and my Necron army. Anything left over: Genestealer Cult!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.