1500 pt Marine list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
LemonScampi's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1500 pt Marine list

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

Epistolary - Force Weapon, Psychic Hood, Storm of The Emperor's Wrath, Familiar, Bolt Pistol, Terminator Honours, Furious Charge, Iron Halo
169 pts
Com Squad - 8 Marines, Furious Charge, Vet Sergeant, Power Weapon, 2x Meltagun Rhino w/ Smoke Launchers
242 pts
Term Assault Squad - 8 Terminators, Furious Charge
344 pts
Tactical Squad - 8 Marines, Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun
Tactical Squad - 8 Marines, Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun
Tactical Squad - 8 Marines, Vet Sergeant, Power Weapon, Heavy Bolter
Tactical Squad - 8 Marines, Vet Sergeant, Power Weapon, Heavy Bolter
Scout Squad - 8 Scouts, Vet Sergeant, Power Weapon, Teleport Homer, Melta Bombs
137 pts

Total: 1502 pts

Just a few notes and tactics now. The 2 Heavy Bolter squads are intended to be my more mobile troop choices. The way I see it, every turn you move a heavy weapon you're wasting the points you spent on it. Hence I felt the 5 points for a heavy bolter wasn't too much of a waste that I'd necessarily feel it if I had to move it around a bit rather than feeling almost forced to keep it stationary to fire as I would if I'd paid for another Plasma Cannon or a Lascannon. I've opted for Power Weapons rather than Power Fists just as a personal preference, and as the 2 tac squads aren't aiming to get into combat anyway, so really they just need a little extra punch if they do end up having to slug it out (as such the vet sergeants have bolters rather than pistols).

Now the idea is the scouts infiltrate (Outflank is good, but they have my teleport homer, assuming they get on at turn 3 and come on at my board edge, then the earliest the terminators would arrive is turn 4, unable to move or assault, and in a worse position than they would have been turn one otherwise. The Command Squad push down one flank with the scouts, I'd imagine drawing heavy fire, but away from the scouts which is what we're looking for. The Terminators then hopefully can use the scouts to teleport in, whatever happens turn 2 the scouts will assault something that they can stay locked in combat with, to avoid getting shot to pieces before back up arrives. The Plasma Cannon Squads will sit at the back keeping any combat troops at bay from the ranged aspect of my army, while the Heavy Bolter squads will offer support fire to the combat section by weakening any units that may be a bit too much for the scouts in combat, alternating between that and assisting the Plasma Cannons.

So that's pretty much what I'm looking at for the moment. If you have any tactical or other advice it's welcome. I'd have loved to give the Librarian Veil of Time, but I lack the points, and to be honest, Storm of the Emperor's Wrath is a really harsh power anyway. I know I lack anti-tank, but I assume 4 Plasma weapons can take out transports, while relying on the Command Squads Melta Guns to take out any AV14 opponents (along with the Scouts Melta Bomb wielding Sergeant).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 01:45 PM

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

you should start getting ready for 5th ed codex space marines.

you lack long range anti tank and fast movement.

1 rhino isn't going to last very long.... personly i would drop it or try and get 2 more in.

the termie squad make it smaller and a normal one, you have to drop strike termies that have no ranged weapons... most people will avoid it or shoot the hell out of it.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 02:25 PM

Sniper's Flag is: Australia

Hmm ID is right about you need more long range anti tank guns, as for the Termies though I have the exact same squad (size and equiptment but no FC) but I use them in a Landraider so they can drive up to a nice costly hq unit then Las cannon and then assault the poor heretics in 1 turn

Sniper

Rambling since ...... hmmm now you see I cant remember but when i was a little ripper.......

Honour & Vengence: (finally has the forgotten finishing bit)http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=28272

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so what would you guys suggest for anti-tank then? I feel that Lascannons in tac squads are a waste, as you lose the majority of the units shooting, and at 35 points a pop in a dev squad just don't earn their points back. Also, due to the fact my list is infantry based, if I took say a predator, then it'd just be gone after the first round of shooting assuming my enemy had a few tanks (and if they don't, my lack of anti tank isn't a real worry). So I'm just not sure where I can make a change to get anti tank weaponry without fundementally changing my army. Plus, the only thing that the Plasma Cannons can't kill are AV14 vehicles, which apart from the odd land raider (which generally runs towards me anyway), I don't see too many of them in battle. Whilst I take on board that on the turn they arrive they are somewhat useless ID, I love my assault terminators! The addition of run gives them some mobility, and I won't even necessarily deep strike them depending on my opponent.
All points have been taken onboard however, and are appreciated.

Also, assuming I was going to increase it to 2000 points, what would you spend the extra 500 points on? Obviously something with a bit of range to it, but I'm torn between Dreadnoughts, Predators or possibly a combination of the two with a Vindicator thrown in. (Not a fan of Land Raiders.)

Last edited by LemonScampi; 07-18-08 at 03:47 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 04:16 PM

EndangeredHuman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Personally I'd get rid of the plasma cannons, as losing them ad whoever else due to a big bang won't do your squads much good. replace them by giving a marine a rocket launcher to add to their anti-tank while saving points.

Add atleast 1 more rhino, one won't get very far at all.

I'd also add two more scouts then split them into two squads of 5.

Last edited by EndangeredHuman; 07-18-08 at 07:23 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonScampi View Post
... I feel that Lascannons in tac squads are a waste, as you lose the majority of the units shooting, and at 35 points a pop in a dev squad just don't earn their points back...
Sorry but there's really no way round that. In a tac squad there's usually going to be at least one useless gun. Lascannons are cheap for tac squads, expensive for dev squads, so you can have one cheap in a tac squad and spend 1/3 of the game with the rest of the squad out of range, or pay over the odds in a dev squad but be able to deliver multiple shots.

Or get missile launchers, as Endangered Human suggests. Personally, I'm really not a fan of plasma cannons, it's a lot of points if it goes 'boom!'

:tactical cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Last edited by Red Orc; 07-18-08 at 06:17 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 05:39 PM

blackws's Flag is: USA

If you are going to go with a dev squad you should think about rocket launcher dev squad cheeper the laz and almost as good. As for you 8 man tacts if you want those as moble troops i wouldn't even waste the 5 points on heavy bolters. Or just spend 5 more for a pg or mg. Anyways just my two cents
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Alright thanks for the feedback guys, I'll give the army a couple of test runs, then see how they go in those matches before changing anything up. The missile launchers are an option, and I'd be more likely to take them than lascannons, however personally I still think both are inferior to the versatility of the Plasma Cannon (anti light vehicle or anti heavy infantry).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so I've had another flick through the codex, and as I am lacking anti tank, but still like my current tac squads and aren't a big tank fan, how about: Get rid of the Terminators, Add in another identical scout squad, and add a 6 man Vet Squad with Tank Hunters, 2 melta guns and a Razorback with twin linked Lascannons? It's not the long range that people have said I should get granted, but I can't bring myself to do it, I just seem to have something against Lascannons and Missile Launchers, what can I say?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-08, 06:23 PM

EDIT: Damn, you posted more things... yes a Laserback sounds like a good plan... and meltaguns are pretty useful.

Original post on plasma cannons:

I don't think any of us are arguing plasma cannons aren't versitile - they are. But they're dangerous and expensive. A missile launcher is nearly as good at taking out troops or vehicles, and it doesn't blow up and costs half the points. But, it isn't as effective. There is no 'magic weapon' that is both cheap and super-effective, there's always a trade-off.

But I think you're right that testing it in action is the best way to see how it works.

Get out there and pound those alien heretics for the Emperor!

:gung-ho cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

Last edited by Red Orc; 07-18-08 at 06:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Space Marine Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode