Ork 1500, first attempt - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Baalirock's Flag is: USA

Ork 1500, first attempt

So, I've been reading, thinking, and strategizing about this for a while, and I think I've come up with a pretty decent 1500 point list to work towards building.

Warboss Power Klaw 85
Nobz x6 Painboy w/ Orderly 215
Ork Boyz 1x BS, 1x Rocket, Nob w/ PK, BP 175
Ork Boyz x20 1x BS, 1x Rocket, Nob w/ PK, BP 175
Gretchin x27 2x Runtherds 101
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Tankbustas x5 2x Bomb Squigs, 1 Thammer 85
Lootas x10 150
Ork Boyz x12 Shootas, Nob w/ PK, In Trukk 107
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
Weirdboy Warphead 85
1500 points Exactly.

C&C would be welcome, as I'm still new to the current landscape of 40K. I know Tankbustas get some negative feedback, but my normal opponent plays Crimson Fists, and brings lots of vehicles. They more than made their points back for me last game. The Warboss will be deployed with the nobs, and the Warphead with one of the 20 strong slugga mobs. Whatcha think?

"Free yourself from yourself". -MJK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 02:39 PM

Crimzzen's Flag is: Canada

So, I've been reading, thinking, and strategizing about this for a while, and I think I've come up with a pretty decent 1500 point list to work towards building.

Warboss Power Klaw 85
-If you can find the points somewhere i'd give this guy an attack squig
-Nobz are great, however, they truly shine on bikes. I'd look at puttin them on bikes /w the warboss. That ends up being 1 board clearing unit.
-I'm guessing this is another 20x mob. Drop the rockit, it's never going to hit, most of the time you're going to be running these guys. I would even drop the BS. If you can, bump up to 30 strong.
-see above
-my guess this is meant to be a shield for your boyz. If you put your nobz on bikes, you can put them in front of your boyz doing the same thing.
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
-I've never had any luck with these guys, I guess the can remove a couple of marines a turn, but with the amount of cover saves available, these guys just never seem to make back their points. I would drop them in order to fit in the above.
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
-This is a free KP, either get more or stick em in a battlewagon, or both
Lootas x10 150
-awesome unit, try to get 15
-needs a bp
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
-needs a bp
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
Weirdboy Warphead 85
-good

As you can see, the above list will be much more expensive than 1500 points, it's up to you what you want to change and what you don't. I guess my main advice would be that with orks, you can't invest into half-measures. If you're going to rock a unit, make sure you max it (30 strong boyz) and play up their strengths (nobz on bikes). Hope this helps
1500 points Exactly.

C&C would be welcome, as I'm still new to the current landscape of 40K. I know Tankbustas get some negative feedback, but my normal opponent plays Crimson Fists, and brings lots of vehicles. They more than made their points back for me last game. The Warboss will be deployed with the nobs, and the Warphead with one of the 20 strong slugga mobs. Whatcha think?

Allouttabubblegum? - 40K Blog - contains batreps, tactics, and all my work including past and present! Sign up today!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:01 PM

Lord_Murdock's Flag is: Canada

I'd give the warboss a bit more wargear, like an attack squig or 'eavy armour. Also, I'd just drop the rokkits in your boyz mobz and replace them with a couple more big shootas. The deffcoptas are kind of pointless, so remove them and add more boyz to your mobz.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:08 PM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalirock View Post
Warboss Power Klaw 85
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Deffcopta TL Rokkit 45
Lootas x10 150
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
Trukk Red Paint Job 40
Weirdboy Warphead 85
Thats kind of a boring warboss, but abilities are not the entire point of the game I guess. XD
I'm with crimzzen on the Nobz, toss them on bikes and give them power klaws. There's your tank popping unit and with the warboss striking at S10, you can mash up land raiders. I tend to make my Nobz expensive and give them the painboy, power klaws, and cybork bodies. Expensive, but they have a habit of surviving just long enough to kill double their points.
Uh, weirdboyz are fun and all, but why? They aren't really too useful, I've only ever encountered one situation where they were helpful and it wasn't assault.
You might also want to invest in Armor Plates and Reinforced Rams for your trukks, they're more mobile this way and survivable. I'd also suggest giving the guys inside shootas rather than Slugga and Choppa. You can move 13" and still fire 22 shots at 18", essentialy giving them 31" range.
I haven't played Deffcoptas before, but from what I've seen they're only ever useful with that blade upgrade that gives them a power klaw. And even then if your enemy decides he doesn't like you and shoots you to hell with heavy bolters, they're done.
IMHO, gretchin are virtually worthless. They're no good in assault, they'd be half-way decent in shooting if they didn't have such horrible guns, and they're really weak. They make a meat shield, but other than that it's just a point sink (heavy bolters would tear them apart, especially a devestator squad, and I'm pretty sure bolters would too). Bump the Boyz up to 30 man squads and drop the special weapons. Get a nob in there with a power klaw and then that squad can essentially survive any kind of attack.
Lootas RokK!!! (try to get 15)

USMC, Oorah!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimzzen View Post
my guess this is meant to be a shield for your boyz. If you put your nobz on bikes, you can put them in front of your boyz doing the same thing

As you can see, the above list will be much more expensive than 1500 points, it's up to you what you want to change and what you don't. I guess my main advice would be that with orks, you can't invest into half-measures. If you're going to rock a unit, make sure you max it (30 strong boyz) and play up their strengths (nobz on bikes). Hope this helps
Nob bikers are definitely something I had been thinking about. I'll haffta pick up a few after Christmas and try em out. Good call about more boyz, too. Thank you for the critique.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Murdock View Post
I'd give the warboss a bit more wargear, like an attack squig or 'eavy armour. Also, I'd just drop the rokkits in your boyz mobz and replace them with a couple more big shootas. The deffcoptas are kind of pointless, so remove them and add more boyz to your mobz.
The Deffcoptas have worked pretty well for me so far. Plus, I have the models already, so that's a bonus. I'm not opposed to removing them, though. I'll tinker with them a bit more.

I had been thinking about removing the special weapons from the boyz mobs, too. Looks like that's the way to go.

As for the warboss, I have a spare snotling with a tiny club that I got from an old Night Goblin set of Fantasy, and I'm planning on putting him on the Warboss model. I think I'm gonna have to count him as an attack squig.

Thank you for your critique. Definitely gave me some points to consider.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:20 PM

Tanrel's Flag is: USA

No problem. Where's Morfangdakka? He has really good advice for orkz.

USMC, Oorah!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanrel View Post
Thats kind of a boring warboss, but abilities are not the entire point of the game I guess. XD
True. I think I'll end up giving him an attack squig.

Quote:
I'm with crimzzen on the Nobz, toss them on bikes and give them power klaws. There's your tank popping unit and with the warboss striking at S10, you can mash up land raiders. I tend to make my Nobz expensive and give them the painboy, power klaws, and cybork bodies. Expensive, but they have a habit of surviving just long enough to kill double their points.
Definitely gonna give this a shot.

Quote:
Uh, weirdboyz are fun and all, but why? They aren't really too useful, I've only ever encountered one situation where they were helpful and it wasn't assault.
Because they're fun? Truthfully, I haven't actually used one yet, so I'll see how he does after my trial run.

Quote:
I'd also suggest giving the guys inside shootas rather than Slugga and Choppa. You can move 13" and still fire 22 shots at 18", essentialy giving them 31" range.
This is an easy fix. They've already got shootas.

Quote:
IMHO, gretchin are virtually worthless. They're no good in assault, they'd be half-way decent in shooting if they didn't have such horrible guns, and they're really weak. They make a meat shield, but other than that it's just a point sink (heavy bolters would tear them apart, especially a devestator squad, and I'm pretty sure bolters would too).
Yeah, they're effectively there as a meat shield. They're also present because I have about 40 of em. Maybe I'll break em up into 2 squads of 19. Of course, if I do mount the nobs on bikes, the Gretchin would definitely get the axe altogether. Somehow, the little buggers were able to take out a few marines via shooting last game. I'll play with them a bit until I get the bikes to see if that was just a fluke.

Again, thank you for the critique.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-08, 07:36 PM

Umm "You can move 13" and still fire 22 shots " I read that and a red flag went off.. where do you read that you can shoot the unit riding inside when the vehicle moves faster than combat speed? As far as I read if you go more than 7" with RPJ only the vehicle may shoot because it is fast.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-08, 12:25 AM
Spored to be Wild

morfangdakka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
No problem. Where's Morfangdakka? He has really good advice for orkz.

Hey, I'm old and these electric scooters don't move that fast plus I don't want to hit a bump and spill my fungus brew. But I'll get here eventually once the meks give me scooter the upgraded V-8 and the flame paint job.

Anyway on to the orks. Gunkadin has that part right you can only go 7 inches with the RPJ and still have everyone shoot.

FOr your boyz mobs I have always had the outlook of if you are going to take a special weapon for your mobs it should be a big shoota instead of a rokkit. Because your boyz mobs are best at fighting other troops not fighting vehicles or heavy armor. THe BS gives the mob range to hit enemy troops and soften them up while the mob moves up the field. Also the one potshot at an enemy vehicle probably is going to miss. Then the rest of the mob can't do anything but shoot at that vehicle with sluggas or shootas that aren't going to damage it. Also your Nob has a PK so if a vehicle is too close the NOb can whack it.

20 boyz is good I feel 25 is better as 30 can sometimes be difficult to move around effectively.

The boss has been covered but as an alternative you could consider a Big Mek with a SAG. The SAG on one side the lootas on the other will make the opponent split fire and split up his army.
The NObs with a painboy even on foot can be a hard as nails unit. Also lootas rock you have a good number with 10. I would say increase your tankbustas to 10 and get the NOb a bosspole. I feel all Nob's need bosspoles to help with the low leadership.

I like the deffkopta's but I keep them away from assualt and use the rokkits range to blast vehicles and armored troops. If you are only going to run 3 then run them as individual units so if one gets killed the other won't run away.

I like the warphead in the unit since most of his powers are shooting attacks so with a unit of shootas it will only benefit the army. So definetly worth a try.

Grots are troops and they can claim objectives or tie up units or act as bullet catchers. All of witch is good. An alternative to the grots could be 3 kannons with max ammo runts. THe reason I suggest this is because other than the lootas you have no long range fire power and you are relying on the bums rush to get up there. THe kannons could give you hitting power at range for either troops or vehicles. If you do use kannons remember they are not stationary they can move and run just like troops. So if they have nothing to shot at move them. Most people forget this.

Anyway time for old Morf to charge up his scooter, open a fresh brew and go cruise for chicks at the old folks home.

Summer Miniture Exchange SIgn Up Now!
Red Orc
"Ahh, isn't Morfang sweet, like a great big 350-pound (that's 25 stone, UK users!) ball of cuddly death...?"

God, gives children to people so that death won't seem so disappointing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Ork Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode