2250 Mech Guard - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

2250 Mech Guard

Hey all,

Just posting up the list that I hope to build my guard up to someday. Pretty standard fare as far as mech guard goes. Typical opponents: Orks, DE, CSMs, and 'Crons.

HQ

Company Command Squad
2x Melta, Autocannon, Astropath, Krak Grenades
Chimera, ML HF

Company Command Squad
2x Melta, Autocannon, Krak Grenades
Chimera, ML HF

Elites:

Psyker Battle Squad: 5 additional psykers
Chimera, ML HF

Chimera, ML HF

Troops

Platoon Command Squad
Al'rahem, 2x Melta, Autocannon, Krak Grenades
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Heavy Support

Hydra Squadron
Hydra, HF
Hydra, HF

Ordnance Battery
Medusa, Enclosed, BBSHells, HF
Medusa, Enclosed, BBShells, HF

Note: The krak grenades are just to eat up those last 10 points.

Cheers,
Scathainn

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Last edited by Scathainn; 12-03-10 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
Hey all,

Just posting up the list that I hope to build my guard up to someday. Pretty standard fare as far as mech guard goes. Typical opponents: Orks, DE, CSMs, and 'Crons.

HQ

Company Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF

Company Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF
CCS' I feel are a great platform for special weapons. You can field Heavy weapons on almost every vehicle and quite a bit in the platoons. However nowhere else can you take 4 special weapons. Because of this, I really use them as more of an assault type of unit. Drive-by's with 4 Plasma Guns or Melta Guns will really make your opponent frown. Because of this I really do not like to put Heavy weapons in them. Especially how you have them loaded out. You have 2 autocannons that have a 48" range which really do not compliment the specials you have which have a 12" range. Krak Grenades are also usless IMO, but YMMV.

Quote:
Elites:

Chimera, ML HF

Chimera, ML HF
PBS- I love these guys, but normally 1 unit is enough. Also you really do not need to upgrade them too 9 Sanctioned Psykers as str9 gives you really not increased effect over str8, while it costs an additional 10points. Str9 will not instant kill any multiple wound model over str8. If the Overseer counted towards the str of the attack, by all means I would say go for it. As Str10 will insta-gib a T5 model. But as is, there is no need to go over 8 SP's.

Quote:
Troops

Platoon Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF
You are all over the place here. Al'rahem requires his whole PLATOON to outflank. While I love this option, this unfortunately means you will not be able to shoot any of the Autocannons. So I would drop all the AC, and the Krak Grenades and give the PCS 4xMG.

Another thing to consider is the fact that you are playing with a LOT of artillery, having your whole infantry platoon outflank leaves your artillery VERY vulnerable. If you wish to go with Al'rahem thats fine, but I would suggest changing your HS choices to Leman Russ Chassis' over Artillery.

Quote:
Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta
All of these are solid. I would also recommend a Vet Squad with 3 PG in a Chimera.

Quote:
Heavy Support

Hydra Squadron
Hydra, HF
Hydra, HF

Ordnance Battery
See note in the Troop section.

Also 3 Hydra's is overkill, drop it down to 2. Medusa's pretty vulnerable, AV12 is not hard to kill at all.
Quote:
Note: The krak grenades are just to eat up those last 10 points.

Cheers,
Scathainn
Hope that helps.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by grix View Post
CCS' I feel are a great platform for special weapons. You can field Heavy weapons on almost every vehicle and quite a bit in the platoons. However nowhere else can you take 4 special weapons. Because of this, I really use them as more of an assault type of unit. Drive-by's with 4 Plasma Guns or Melta Guns will really make your opponent frown. Because of this I really do not like to put Heavy weapons in them. Especially how you have them loaded out. You have 2 autocannons that have a 48" range which really do not compliment the specials you have which have a 12" range. Krak Grenades are also usless IMO, but YMMV.
I played with 4 special weapons for a while but I really didn't like getting that close to the enemy to have to deal damage. The reason for the meltas and autocannon combo is so that I can sit back and shoot at my leisure and if some pesky tanks get up in my grill I can melta them to kingdom come.

Quote:
PBS- I love these guys, but normally 1 unit is enough. Also you really do not need to upgrade them too 9 Sanctioned Psykers as str9 gives you really not increased effect over str8, while it costs an additional 10points. Str9 will not instant kill any multiple wound model over str8. If the Overseer counted towards the str of the attack, by all means I would say go for it. As Str10 will insta-gib a T5 model. But as is, there is no need to go over 8 SP's.
TBH this is my first time using PBSs so I wasn't that sure what to do with them points-wise. I added the second squad to deal with horde armies which I think the list would have trouble with without them.

Quote:
You are all over the place here. Al'rahem requires his whole PLATOON to outflank. While I love this option, this unfortunately means you will not be able to shoot any of the Autocannons. So I would drop all the AC, and the Krak Grenades and give the PCS 4xMG.

Another thing to consider is the fact that you are playing with a LOT of artillery, having your whole infantry platoon outflank leaves your artillery VERY vulnerable. If you wish to go with Al'rahem thats fine, but I would suggest changing your HS choices to Leman Russ Chassis' over Artillery.
I know about the platoon thing but as I said above I didn't like having to get so close to the enemy to crump 'em. As for the artillery, two veteran squads, two CCSs, two vendettas and two PBS should surely be enough to guard four tanks at the back of the board?

Quote:
All of these are solid. I would also recommend a Vet Squad with 3 PG in a Chimera.
I had contemplated plasma guns but I eventually ditched in favor of meltas.

Quote:
Also 3 Hydra's is overkill, drop it down to 2. Medusa's pretty vulnerable, AV12 is not hard to kill at all.

Hope that helps.
There are only 2 Hydras....?

Cheers for the advice!

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 05:51 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
HQ

Company Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF

Company Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF
I read your thoughts on not wanting too get close so that's fine, but why have both CCS's doing it..building one of them differently would give you tactical variety for a start.

Quote:
Elites:

Chimera, ML HF

Chimera, ML HF
Seen as this is a large list 2 is fine, but they are tricky to use...it could take you a dozen games to get the best results from them.

Quote:
Troops

Platoon Command Squad
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF

Infantry Squad
Melta, Autocannon
Chimera, ML HF
Seen as you have an Astropath to pick what edge you come in on you can set up a distance from the enemy...personally I find the best use of Al is too get up close and personal with Meltas and BID, and SWS's with 3 SW's instead of those HWT's.

Quote:
Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Veterans
3x Melta
Chimera, ML HF

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta
Great.

Quote:
Heavy Support

Hydra Squadron
Hydra, HF
Hydra, HF

Ordnance Battery
Nice choices. They need protecting but you know that already. I usually bubblewrap mine in Infantry if I want them to last for more than a few turns, but if they have already done massive damage in the first few turns and then get destroyed, then its job is done anyway.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Imperial Guard Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode