Thoughts on 2000 point Eldar List - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-17, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Default Thoughts on 2000 point Eldar List

I am getting back into 40k and need some advice on two lists I have built, One is designed for Horde/MC heavy armies and the other is for MEQ/TEQ/Tank heavy armies.

List 1(2000 Points) - Designed for Horde/MC heavy armies
HQ - Farseer - 135 Points
-Jetbike
-Spirit Stone of Anath'lan
-Singing Spear
Elites - 5 Wraithguard - 350 Points
-5 D-Scythes
-Wave Serpent
-Holo Fields
-Twin Linked Bright Lance
-Shuriken Cannon
Troops - 6 Windriders - 162 Points
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
Fast Attack - 5 Swooping Hawks - 106 Points
-Exarch
Heavy Support - 2 Fire Prisms - 250 Points
Heavy Support - 2 Night Spinners - 200 Points
Lord Of War - Wraithknight - 310 Points
- Scatter Laser

List 2(2000 Points) - Designed for MEQ/TEQ/Tank heavy armies
HQ - Farseer - 135 Points
-Jetbike
-Spirit Stone of Anath'lan
-Singing Spear
Elites - 6 Fire Dragons - 272 Points
-Wave Serpent
-Holo Fields
-Shuriken Cannon
Elites - 5 Howling Banshees - 238 Points
-Exarch
-Executioner and Shuriken Pistol
-Wave Serpent
-Holo Fields
-Shuriken Cannon
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
-6 Scatter Lasers
-Exarch
-Exarch
Heavy Support - 2 Night Spinners - 200 Points
Lord Of War - Wraithknight - 295 Points

Any feedback would be appreciated, I can justify every unit in both armies if you don't know why something is included.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-17, 08:24 AM

Hi,

I like both lists

Although it's easier to look at a list if you know what the plans for the units are first :D

Can you spare the points to put the hawk squads to 6 men?
The you get the big blast off the grenades, rather than the small blast.

Also, have you seen the recent FAQ's? Now units can only use 1 grenade in CC it's nerfed the hawks haywire somewhat.

List 1
Are the wraithguard going in the serpent?

List 2
Are the banshees going in the serpent?
Are the fire dragons?

Last edited by Gret79; 02-02-17 at 08:30 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-17, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
Hi,

I like both lists

Although it's easier to look at a list if you know what the plans for the units are first :D

Can you spare the points to put the hawk squads to 6 men?
The you get the big blast off the grenades, rather than the small blast.

Also, have you seen the recent FAQ's? Now units can only use 1 grenade in CC it's nerfed the hawks haywire somewhat.

List 1
Are the wraithguard going in the serpent?

List 2
Are the banshees going in the serpent?
Are the fire dragons?
Thank you for the prompt reply Yes the hawk squads do have six men, I wrote it in an odd fashion but it is 5 Hawks+Exarch not 5 Hawks including exarch. And I have not so that would mean only 1 haywire grenade on the assualt instead of all 6? That would pose as a large downgrade to their tankhunting ability And yes all 3 squads you mentioned have wave serpents to get them across the field without dying. I was considering maybe dropping the wave serpents and calling on the Dark Eldar for an archon some kabalites and raiders instead in order to get more firepower and deep striking fire dragons... Would that be a recommended approach or should I stick to how it is now?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-17, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlzNerfHaywire View Post
Thank you for the prompt reply Yes the hawk squads do have six men, I wrote it in an odd fashion but it is 5 Hawks+Exarch not 5 Hawks including exarch. And I have not so that would mean only 1 haywire grenade on the assualt instead of all 6? That would pose as a large downgrade to their tankhunting ability And yes all 3 squads you mentioned have wave serpents to get them across the field without dying. I was considering maybe dropping the wave serpents and calling on the Dark Eldar for an archon some kabalites and raiders instead in order to get more firepower and deep striking fire dragons... Would that be a recommended approach or should I stick to how it is now?
Without changing anything much

I'd probably keep the serpents. Do you need the chin cannons on the serpents? fast vehicles go 12" and fire one gun - once they drop off their cargo (dragons or wraithguard etc) they tend to die to angry retaliation strikes. I don't take chin cannons because I never actually get to use them.
I'd maybe save the points and try to get spirit stones or something to make the biggest threat more survivable.
But that's horses for courses - if your tank survives longer than just to drop its unit off, the bigger gun is nice.
Yeah hawks got a big kick with the grenade ruling :/
In list 2 you have 2 squads or hawks and a squad of dragons - take them as an aspect shrine. It costs nothing and they all get +1 BS.
BS5 shooting aspects (BS6 for exarchs) is too good not to use.
I wouldn't put banshees in a serpent. Not being able to charge out of the serpent after you deploy ruins them - they don't survive standing round for a turn next to a unit they want to charge...
What I'd do is have the banshees on foot next to the wraithknight.
If someone drops a pod into your lines to damage the wraithknight, you can then counter charge with the banshees. The banshees don't allow overwatch and can tie the unit up so then the 'knight can charge without worrying about overwatch too.
And if your opponent shoots the banshees, he's not shooting the knight ;)
You can then do what you like with the serpent - either save the points and bring something else or just take it as a tank

Overall, Dark elder aren't in a good place at the minute. There's no point taking a raider as battle brother allies can't start the game in each others transports (faq'd again - but it does stop things like culexus in a pod so overall, I like it)- so no raider/archon/dragon bomb. You can still do it without the raider though - just dropping in either an archon or a haemonculus with a web way portal with dragons is still allowed. But you'd still have to take a squad of kabalites. They won't do as much as an actual eldar unit in the game - but they'll probably be ignored for the same reason. I wouldn't put them in a raider either it'd just make them more of a target.
Deep striking fire dragons - or wraithguard with d-scythes niext to something you want dead tends to work

If you're interested in DE allies, have you seen the weekends pre-orders?
The Shattering of Biet-tan has has a new eldar faction called ynnari. They get formations with CWE, DE and harlequins so they can all be run as one army. Maybe, they'll be allowed in each others transports

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Fur is for the weak!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-17, 12:41 PM

Noble Korhedron's Flag is: Ireland

@Gret79: I'm pretty sure the OP has no choice when it comes to taking chin turret weapons on his Wave Serpents; unless you mean that it is a waste upgrading the twin-linked Catapult to twin-linked Cannon?

Regards,

NK.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-17, 01:42 PM

Yup

Chin catapults for free = ok.

Paying for chin cannons you may not get chance to use = optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Fur is for the weak!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-17, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret79 View Post
Without changing anything much

I'd probably keep the serpents. Do you need the chin cannons on the serpents? fast vehicles go 12" and fire one gun - once they drop off their cargo (dragons or wraithguard etc) they tend to die to angry retaliation strikes. I don't take chin cannons because I never actually get to use them.
I'd maybe save the points and try to get spirit stones or something to make the biggest threat more survivable.
But that's horses for courses - if your tank survives longer than just to drop its unit off, the bigger gun is nice.
Yeah hawks got a big kick with the grenade ruling :/
In list 2 you have 2 squads or hawks and a squad of dragons - take them as an aspect shrine. It costs nothing and they all get +1 BS.
BS5 shooting aspects (BS6 for exarchs) is too good not to use.
I wouldn't put banshees in a serpent. Not being able to charge out of the serpent after you deploy ruins them - they don't survive standing round for a turn next to a unit they want to charge...
What I'd do is have the banshees on foot next to the wraithknight.
If someone drops a pod into your lines to damage the wraithknight, you can then counter charge with the banshees. The banshees don't allow overwatch and can tie the unit up so then the 'knight can charge without worrying about overwatch too.
And if your opponent shoots the banshees, he's not shooting the knight ;)
You can then do what you like with the serpent - either save the points and bring something else or just take it as a tank

Overall, Dark elder aren't in a good place at the minute. There's no point taking a raider as battle brother allies can't start the game in each others transports (faq'd again - but it does stop things like culexus in a pod so overall, I like it)- so no raider/archon/dragon bomb. You can still do it without the raider though - just dropping in either an archon or a haemonculus with a web way portal with dragons is still allowed. But you'd still have to take a squad of kabalites. They won't do as much as an actual eldar unit in the game - but they'll probably be ignored for the same reason. I wouldn't put them in a raider either it'd just make them more of a target.
Deep striking fire dragons - or wraithguard with d-scythes niext to something you want dead tends to work

If you're interested in DE allies, have you seen the weekends pre-orders?
The Shattering of Biet-tan has has a new eldar faction called ynnari. They get formations with CWE, DE and harlequins so they can all be run as one army. Maybe, they'll be allowed in each others transports
You make a good point about the chin cannons, I will remove them and see what I can do with the points
As my plans for hawks was tank hunting and light infantry, it would likely make sense to remove the second squad as they don't necessarily do much damage against MEQ's. In order to get the aspect shrine bonuses like you said, should I opt for dark reapers/warp spiders or would a unit of wraithguard be better suited there?
The banshees point makes sense too, although would they be likely to survive long enough to get the enemy on foot, they are quick but very squishy if shot
Maybe no Dark Eldar then, obviously the potential with bringing an archon for no scatter with fire dragons who can light up a tank straight away is great, if they get a land raider its immediately their points back I will update my lists accordingly and see what I can do with the spare points and post it here after...
It seems as if in any eldar tactics review I see, night spinners get a bad review, is there a reason I'm missing for that, because two of them firing strength 8 large blasts is going to ruin anything toughness 4 or less and that seems like a perfect space marine killer?
Also I will look into the Ynnari

Last edited by PlzNerfHaywire; 02-03-17 at 06:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-17, 02:53 PM

To get the aspect bonus, I'd take warp spiders. They're very useful even though the FAQ states 1 flickerjump per turn now iirc.
I love dark reapers though. I'm totally biased and have been taking 3 squads in deep striking falcons in my last few eldar games. Although no one likes fighting that so I'm probably going to have to make a new list soon :D
Dark Reapers with the st8 upgrade ruin everthing bar 2+'s and av14 in my experience.
I've never used a night spinner. No ap on the gun (bar rending) means I wouldn't get much use from it. Everyone I play is marines.
Is forgeworld allowed? The warp hunter is 15 points cheaper than 2 night spinners and gets d3+1 d-weapon barrage shots, again iirc.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-17, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I will make sure to look further into the aspect warriors as they all seem to specialize in very specific things. I will remove the night spinners from my list because I thought when it said if the weapon strength was double the toughness it caused instant death with no saves when in fact saves can be taken as normal, making them significantly worse... When I come up with updated lists I will post them here
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-17, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Here is an updated list, what are your thoughts on this?(1999 Points)

HQ: Farseer - 120 Pts
Jetbike
Singing Spear

Elites: 5 Wraithguard - 340 Pts
D-Scythes
Wave Serpent
Bright Lance
Holo Fields

Troops: 3 Windriders - 81 Pts
Scatter Lasers

Scatter Lasers

Scatter Lasers

Scatter Lasers

Fast Attack: 5 Swooping Hawks - 106 Pts
+Exarch

Heavy Support: Warp Hunter - 210 Pts
Spirit Stones
Holo Fields

Lord of War: Wraithknight - 295 Pts

Aspect Host: +1BS
5 Fire Dragons - 272 Pts
+Exarch
Wave Serpent
Bright Lance
Holo Fields

4 Warp Spiders - 140 Pts
+ Exarch
Spinneret Rifle
Powerblades

4 Dark Reapers - 192 Pts
Starshot Missiles
+Exarch
Tempest Launcher

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Eldar Army Lists

Tags
2000 points , army , cheese , eldar , semi competitive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode