Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

My first list, any tips/advice would be welcome

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Miku 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to wharhammer 40k and started an Eldar Ulthwe army. Our local GW runs a league starting this friday with 250 pts, growing to 1000 pts in 3 months. So I decided on two lists and like your advice. I don't like the jet bikes much, and wanted to try something different from what I see online. Here are my lists:

CAD 1000 pts
HQ 100 pts
Farseer

Troops 285 pts
10x Guardians, Shuriken Cannon, Warlock
10x Guardians, Bright Lance, Warlock

Fast Attack 265 pts
4x Swooping Hawks, Exarch
Vyper Eldar Missle Launcher, twin-linked shuriken catapults, Holo-fields
4x Warp Spiders, Exarch

Heavy Support 350 pts
Vaul's Wrath Support Battery, D-Cannon
2x War Walkers, 2x Bright Lance, Star Cannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithlord, Shuriken Catapult, Flamer, 2x Bright Lance

Or the following list:

Warhost 1000 pts
Guardian Battlehost 730 pts
Farseer, Spirit Stone of Anath'lan
Vaul's Wrath Support Battery, Shadow Weaver
2x War Walkers, 2x Bright Lance, 2x Star Cannon
Vyper Eldar Missle Launcher, twin-linked shuriken catapults, Holo-fields
10x Guardians, Eldar Missle Launcher, Warlock

Aspect Host 270
4x Dire Avengers, Exarch
4x Warp Spiders, Exarch

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi miku, i totally agree with you: different lists are the best. However, i fell the old CAD is largely dead and obsolete. Formations are the new way to listbuilding. I like the second list the most, altough i'd find some place for a falcon...
You will suffer, i think, from specialized melee lists and antihorde, but all in all, it can be playable.
Also, why the shadow weaver? points issue?

#3 ·
Hi Neferhet, thx for your reply. I like the 2nd one too, the Battlehost is quite expensive (point wise in 1k) that's why i tried a CAD.
I didn't realise I'd be vulnerable to anti horde, thx for pointing that out! Any ideas on that? I guess its kinda inevitable with footdar.
The shadow Weaver is because of points indeed (one support weapon is needed for the formation).
I could drop a war walker and maybe some warlocks I suppose, but they are there for fluff and shrouding.

#4 ·
Well, footdar will always be in a bad place if facing some flamers or lots of shooting...
warlocks could be dropped, imo, since those units are a big target and squishy too. But if they are there because you like them, i'm not arguing at all! I'm no eldar expert, but dropping a war walker doesn't sound a good idea: you need those big guns. Do you have to take maxed out guardians to be legit? you could drop some bodies and add some more spider and hawks?

#5 ·
Well the warlocks are to give shrouding to the guardians, so i'm hoping 2+ cover saves will be okay (and i like them haha).
The guardians are min sized already, only the warlocks cost points there.
I'm trying to combine a CAD and aspect host now,
1000 pts is not enough!

#6 ·
Agreed, 1000 pts is not enough!!
CAD + Aspect host should look like this, right? Not bad, actually. Just trim away 5 pts and you are set.

HQ 100 pts
Farseer

Troops 285 pts

Heavy Support 350 pts
Vaul's Wrath Support Battery, D-Cannon
2x War Walkers, 2x Bright Lance, Star Cannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithlord, Shuriken Catapult, Flamer, 2x Bright Lance

Aspect Host 270
4x Dire Avengers, Exarch
4x Warp Spiders, Exarch

#8 ·
One thing I would do is swap the shuriken catapult on the wraithlord for another flamer. As an MC, he can only fire two weapons which will always be the brightlances so you'll never use the catapult. But if you get charged, you get 2d3 hits for the wall of death from the flamers. If you get close to a horde unit, a flamer will do more damage than the catapult as well.

I'd be tempted not to bother with the aspect host at a 1k game and just take more hawks and spiders in the cad.

5 Dire avengers won't bring that much to the list and if you can get 6 hawks you get to use the big blast grenade when they deep strike. More Warp spiders will also be good - I think more bodies in those two units should offset the loss of BS5 and leadership re-rolls.
If you go to a 1500 point game, then definitely the aspect host is the way to go.

#9 ·
Ah yeah I forgot that they could only fire 2 weapons, two flamers it is. 5 Dire Avengers might be a bit too weak I guess, without them I can give the other War Walker another Star Cannon.
I will try that out, thanks for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.