Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Sekmet Brotherhood(Thousand Sons) 2000 List

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Myen'Tal 
#1 ·
Core Detachment:

War Cabal

Exalted Sorcerer: ML2, Spell Familiar, Disc of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Force Stave, Frag & Krak, MoT 205

Exalted Sorcerer: ML2, Spell Familiar, Disc of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Force Stave, Frag & Krak, MoT 205

Scarab Occult Terminators: 4x Scarab Occult Terminators, 1x Scarab Occult Sorcerer, Hellfyre Missile Rack, Soulreaper Cannon, Land Raider Dedicated Transport 530

Rubric Marines: Aspiring Sorcerer, Chaos Rhino, Icon of Flame, 9x Rubric Marines, Soulreaper Cannon 345

Rubric Marines: Aspiring Sorcerer, Chaos Rhino, Icon of Flame, 9x Rubric Marines, Soulreaper Cannon 345

Auxiliary Formation:

Daemon Engines:
Maulerfiend, Demonic Possession, Magma cutters, 2x Power Fists 125

Legion Armory:

Vindicator Squadron: 240

So, here is a list that I came up with that I might build in the future. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's any good. I'm also working on a Blood Angels list should this turn out to be complete crap:p, lol. I heard that Thousand Sons are one of the harder armies to use, but I thought, at least I can create a list and get some feedback on it. There are two Exalted Sorcerers running around on Discs, which will back the Rubric Marines up with their Psychic might. These guys can manifest three psychic powers a turn instead of the usual two with their Masters of Arcane Knowledge Special Rule, I was thinking perhaps Heretech to mess with enemy vehicles on one of them, and the Tzeentch Discipline on another. Then again, I could remove the Discs from the list and the E. Sorcerers join the Scarab Occult inside their Land Raider.

I think the Scarab Occult and the Land Raider will focus on hunting dangerous vehicles and providing fire support for the Rubric Marines. Yeah, they're not the best Terminators in the game, but I do have to take them for the War Cabal. I could also attach both of my sorcerers in this squad and go HQ hunting too.

The Rubric Marines are very expensive points-wise, I don't know if I want to back them up with a Tzaangor Warherd, but if I do that I basically have to scrap the Maulerfiend and the Vindicators, or maybe the Land Raider and the Maul. Fiend. I guess these guys are the objective holders and takers, focused on storming out other, weaker infantry with their inferno boltguns.

I think I'm keeping the Maulerfiend around the rear of the Vindicators in order to protect their flanks while they advance. Hopefully that'll deter some deep-strikes behind my lines or at least hold them off until the Vindicators have done their part. The Vindis will focus on softening enemy infantry, preferably whatever's nearest to my Rubric Marines to make eliminating the foe smoother.

So, any comments?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey!
I like the list!
Like you said 1000's son are very difficult to play, heavy saturation is your worst enemy.
I suggest to drop both icons of flames in rubric marines and try to add one of the artifact of the legion like astral grimoire :)

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

#3 ·

I would recommend dropping the discs on both of these guys. Each one is a decent investment of your points, in an army that is made up of large point investments. The last thing you want to do is risk them getting taken out quickly. (Not only because of the points, but if you lose these two then thats the majority of your warp charges gone as well.)

Definitely have one of these guys join the scarab occult squad, with the seer's bane to give them some high strength AP2 support. AP3 is nice, but limits the heavy hitters they can go after.

As for the second sorcerer, Athenaean Scrolls or the Astral Grimoire would be good options. Stick him with one of the rubric squads and give them another offensive edge (and if he has the grimoire than you can spirit him around the board, rock daemonology to summon more forces, and force the enemy to try and deal with him.

Scarab Occult Terminators: 4x Scarab Occult Terminators, 1x Scarab Occult Sorcerer, Hellfyre Missile Rack, Soulreaper Cannon, Land Raider Dedicated Transport 530
This represents a quarter of your points all rolled into six models.

Honestly, I would drop the land raider. Armour 14 is great, and the punch from the lascannons is nice, but beyond that this thing is not adding enough to your army for the points its using. I'd instead add a few more terminators, decrease the chance of the cannon or missiles being taken out by shooting.

I think you have forgotten to include something here. These squads, as they are laid out, come in at 340 points. Do the sorcerers have meltabombs?

Like Algorn suggested, I'd drop the icons on these squads. Consider dirge casters on the rhino's as well. Sometimes these guys might have to charge and keeping the enemy from getting any shots off might be nice.

Daemon Engines:
Maulerfiend, Demonic Possession, Magma cutters, 2x Power Fists 125
All things considered he doesn't really add to much to this army, especially if your just going to use him to guard the vindicators. You could definitely spend the points elsewhere.

Legion Armory:
Vindicator Squadron: 240
A pair of vindicators is nothing to sniff at, but I'd split them into two groups so that they can maneuver a little better.

All in all I'd recommend something a little more along the lines of:

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips, guys, I made some changes to the list based on the suggestions made. I really like your list, darkreever, so I decided to work with it and made a few subtle changes. I dropped the Discs of Tzeentch on both Sorcerers, dropped a Rubric Marine to make room in the rhino for one of Exalted, and then added another Scarab Terminator to make seven, with the addition of a S.O. Sorcerer and the Exalted Sorcerer.

I think you have forgotten to include something here. These squads, as they are laid out, come in at 340 points. Do the sorcerers have meltabombs?
Yes, they do, I forgot to add them:p. I ended up dropping melta bombs on one of the squads to remain equal or below 2000 points. The Exalted Sorcerer with the Aethenaean scrolls will join them.

Newbie question coming in here :p. So I've read the rules for Seer's Bane, and am a little confused by the wound roll using the leadership test. Does a model have to fail their leadership test in order to wound? Or do I have to roll beneath their leadership?

Core:
War Cabal
Exalted sorcerer
Athenaean scrolls, spell familiar, mastery level 3

Exalted sorcerer
Seer's bane, spell familiar

Scarab occult squad
7x Terminators, 1x sorcerer, soul reaper cannon, hellfyre missile rack

Rubric squad
9x Marines, 1x aspiring sorcerer, soul reaper cannon, melta bombs
Rhino with dirge caster

Rubric squad
8x Marines, 1x aspiring sorcerer, 2x Warp-Flamers, Meltabombs
Rhino with dirge caster, Havoc Launcher

Auxiliary:
Legion armoury
Vindicator with daemonic possession

Legion armoury
Vindicator with daemonic possession

Legion armoury
Predator
Lascannon sponson

Legion armoury
Predator
Lascannon sponson

Total: 2003/2000

#5 ·
So I've read the rules for Seer's Bane, and am a little confused by the wound roll using the leadership test. Does a model have to fail their leadership test in order to wound? Or do I have to roll beneath their leadership?
Neither, seer's bane is S user LD value (so for an exalted sorcerer thats 10) when attacking non vehicle enemies. When rolling to wound, you use the enemies leadership value instead of toughness. Otherwise you'd always be wounding on 2's.

So if an exalted sorcerer with seer's bane fought against an enemy who is LD 9, the sorcerer would wound on rolls of 3. When it comes to determining instant death, thats when you use enemy toughness; meaning the sorcerer is instant everything short of monstrous creatures or those with eternal warrior.

Basically the sorcerer will be wounding on 2's and 3's more often than not, and 4's at worst.

Rubric squad
8x Marines, 1x aspiring sorcerer, soul reaper cannon
Rhino with dirge caster
Unless I'm mistaken, since the squad is not full strength you can't take the cannon. I'd suggest swapping out an inferno bolter or two for warpflamers, give the sorcerer back the meltabombs, and maybe have at a havoc launcher.

#6 · (Edited)
Neither, seer's bane is S user LD value (so for an exalted sorcerer thats 10) when attacking non vehicle enemies. When rolling to wound, you use the enemies leadership value instead of toughness. Otherwise you'd always be wounding on 2's.

So if an exalted sorcerer with seer's bane fought against an enemy who is LD 9, the sorcerer would wound on rolls of 3. When it comes to determining instant death, thats when you use enemy toughness; meaning the sorcerer is instant everything short of monstrous creatures or those with eternal warrior.

Basically the sorcerer will be wounding on 2's and 3's more often than not, and 4's at worst.
Ah, okay, I understand now. Thanks for the explanation :).

Unless I'm mistaken, since the squad is not full strength you can't take the cannon. I'd suggest swapping out an inferno bolter or two for warpflamers, give the sorcerer back the meltabombs, and maybe have at a havoc launcher.
Yeah, I double-checked and you are correct. I will switch out two of the inferno bolters with warp-flamers and re-add meltabombs on the Sorcerer. I think I would be three points over if I added the Havoc Missile Launcher, so I'll keep that off for now.

#7 ·
Nothing wrong with that. In the gaming groups I've been a part of, outside of most tourney play, if your a few points over (under .5%) then it's fine. In this case, 3 points over would mean that if your opponent was at 2k, you would have a .15% point advantage.

#8 ·
Nothing wrong with that. In the gaming groups I've been a part of, outside of most tourney play, if your a few points over (under .5%) then it's fine. In this case, 3 points over would mean that if your opponent was at 2k, you would have a .15% point advantage.
Gotcha'. I don't plan on going to any tournaments anytime soon, so it wouldn't hurt to add it in:smile2:.

Thank you guys for the advice, I feel a lot more confident with this list now. Can't wait to start building it:smile2:!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.