Babypowder's Art Collected! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art Share your GW themed sketches, comics and artwork here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-09, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Babypowder's Flag is: USA

Babypowder's Art Collected!

Hi, I'm gonna use this post to show all my fan art. I'm no kind of professional artist, as much as I'd like to be, but I love art and will probably keep updating this thread with more and more fan art.

You can always see my art at http://mainichi.deviantart.com and I'm always open to comments and critiques.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 12:38 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

I heartily approve. I saw your sig, I followed the link, I looked at the images, and I reached for the +rep button.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! I'm not entirely sure how significant the rep thing is but it seems pretty cool, I see a lot of people talking about it.

It always makes me happy when somebody enjoys my art. I spent lots of time on these and really learned a ton. Probably some of my favorite pieces of art I've ever made.

Stay tuned, I plan on doing quite a bit more! Eventually I might even try to take suggestions/commissions. I'll add that in the original post when I do decide to.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 09:49 AM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

Rep is just for fun really and people use it in different ways. I use it when i feel compelled. for example i have more rep than mossy toes yet its an anamoly as his fiction is so fucking awesome and mine is meh.

Basically use rep as you like but its more like a quality control, if you think something is superb give it. For example I'm going to use it now becos I absolutely love the eldar pic

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 04:24 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Well, deathbringer, you've been around longer, and you're a paying supporter, and you contribute to more than pretty much just the Original Works section.

I think that the Celestian is the best of these images, myself. The Eldar would probably take the cake for the way that they fade back into ghostly luminescence, but I imagine them a bit more slender, in my mind. Though it's still a far better picture than I could make, personally...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Eldar is my second choice army so most of the art I do personally will probably involve the Witch Hunters then Eldar when I'm bored of them.

I kind of picture eldar a bit more slender too, but I was using my actual guardians as references and the way I drew them seemed to work better. I dunno if its the armor or what but the models themselves aren't incredibly thin. Though next eldar piece I start will probably go with more of my own thoughts, and I'm pretty sure most people would think the same as we do in that respect.

My next picture should be up soon, I'm planning a simple portrait of a character to use as my Avatar. I was thinking about doing a Vindicare assassin with the rifle to his face, nothing huge but snipers are awesome!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-09, 05:37 PM

primeministersinsiter's Flag is: Canada

Not a big fan of the 2nd piece. But the first one is sweetass sweet.

"You left the objective? I see you have the tactical genuis of a soap dish."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-09, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeministersinsiter View Post
Not a big fan of the 2nd piece. But the first one is sweetass sweet.
Thanks man. I kind of agree. The second one the characters werent terrible looking but the composition and background kinda ruin it. I've been thinking about redoing the background completely but haven't really had time lately. The first one is probably one of the best pieces of art I've ever done(In my own personal opinion atleast)...so I'm really happy you like it!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-09, 04:37 PM

Kaithan's Flag is: Hungary

Really impressive :3
Photoshop + tablet I guess ?
A good thing too that you are on Deviantart either Easier to find

I hope you don't mind a little critique for your pictures ? :D

The Sisters of Battle pic:

Actually out of the 3x pic you showed here this is the most refined and best coloured of them. I just love their helmet
I know that she is a Seraphim, but I can see it only if I take a brief look in the lower left part of the pic. Otherwise I would just standing idle and try to figure that is she on a highway or on a bridge... ? Either make more of the Seraphim or re-work the background a bit. In its current state, it looks like if you put 2x different work next to each other.

The Duel:

Erm... first problem is that the battle sister is likely to fall on her side any minute xD And I would highly advise you to look up some human anatomy. No offence really, they are well made, but there are some really messed up parts (head too small, the arm are looking funny, ect.). And I guess the sword is a bit bigger than it should be (it is likely too heavy to even lift it ).
The composition is an interesting choice and it can work well if you fix that nearly-falling-battle-sister

The Eldars:

Well as with the previous: anatomy is a bit strange here too
I always try to use reference pictures when I work :D Sometimes even more than 10-20 pics to see how they look like in different angles, ect.
The armour is really nice though :D I see you like to make details a lot ;)
Think of eldars as elves and you get the picture how thin they can get xD The models are kinda... bulky sometimes to use them as ref. You better start off with picture references ;)

Nice works really
I would love to see more of your works ^^ And I hope you don't mind that I wrote some critiques

I always know what to do!
Erm... ...Or maybe not... ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-09, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

I very much appreciate the critiques actually. Since I posted these up on any of the sites I have them on you are the first to really give me anymore than one line or so.

I used GIMP and a tablet. I couldn't afford Photoshop and didn't want to pirate it so I just downloaded the awesome free program. Which is really quite nice.

The Seraphim I probably planned out better than any of the others. The picture is supposed to look like she is in the air kind of scouting out the city from a distance. I see what you mean about not noticing she's a seraphim unless you look at the bottom left though.

The duel I also see most of your critiques. And alot more wrong with it actually haha. But she is supposed to be a Sister Repentia, they use the Eviscerators which are huge. Not just on the models but in most of the actual art I've seen the swords are as big or close to it as the repentia. I think I've messed up the angle a little though. And She was meant to be kind of jumping off the top of the steps and in the process off vertically swinging down her sword at the dark eldar. So that's kind of why she looks like shes falling over, but I think the perspective I've used is a bit off and puts her even further leaning than she should have been, making her look off balanced(and falling over). As for the anatomy issues. The repentia's head may be a little small I suppose. I'm not seeing too many other problems. I think her right arm might have needed a little more foreshortening to indicate the bend. The dark eldar's anatomy seems pretty good to me, the only thing I could pick out was the right arm may be a litttle too fat.

If you could be a little more specific about the anatomy issues in this picture it'd be greatly appreciated, or did I cover what you saw?

The eldar picture I've always thought there was something wrong with his pointing arm, mostly the upper portions muscles are all wrong I think. His neck muscles are wrong too. And ya, like I said before I used the models as a reference more than pictures and agree they should have probably been more slender/tall like elves. Was there anything other than this you see?

I hope that I don't come off defensive in this reply because I really really appreciate your feedback and am mostly just wanting to know a little more specifically what your seeing wrong that I'm not. I'm really working hard to improve my art and appreciate your suggestions and anything else you can say about them.

All my digital works are on Deviant Art. I think if you go back and look through my gallery you'll notice quite an improvement. I think I've steadily gotten better and better. I will pretty much always upload my new pictures to my DA account right away also.

I may not actually go back and edit the current pictures but knowing what I did wrong on them helps me get better with future art.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Sketches and Warhammer 40k Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode