Master Of Mankind is out (spoilers) - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-16, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Master Of Mankind is out (spoilers)

At least on Ibooks. I bought mine from there. I gotto say, it's a much better written book by ADB than his previous HH books. His trademark snappy dialogue isnt there, the story is DEEP as hell, in the first few pages of the books we get a look at Emps in his 'younger' days.

But I dont expect there to be any massive revelations like that at the end of Praetorian Of Dorn. Well one minor revelation is that

Interesting, but I wouldnt expect anything earth shattering to be revealed here. Will post more as I keep reading.

P.S. This book has some heavy shit lol. No warm, fuzzy feelings to be had here...

Last edited by Lord Mephiston; 11-27-16 at 12:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-16, 10:18 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Definitely ADBs best novel so far. Theres some mindblowing stuff to come..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-16, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

It also "feels" different from your regular HH novels. Mainly because, the people in the book and talked about in the book are of a different culture to your regular Space Marines and how they appear in books in general.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-16, 10:45 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I most say I haven't read this book yet, so after this comment and request I am out for now from this thread, but I must say, his snappy dialogue is great when it's appropriate. Like the Night Lords it's perfect for, in small doses it does great for his Word Bearers. What it did not do good for what his Grey Knights. It felt out of place there. But anywhoo, as I am waiting for the paperback, is there anyone who could provide the character-rooster for this novel so I know who is in it? I'm planning on making a War in the Webway-army, and want to know what character to moldel after.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-16, 01:44 PM

Default Master Of Mankind is out (spoilers)

Really great book and worth the wait.

It was never going to be everyone's cup of tea due to the fact it's the closest to a book about the Emperor there has ever been, so many things to cover, so many things people want answered.

But sad to see what the Emperor actually thought of the Primarchs, I wonder if he ended up thinking of him differently near the end.

The end was petty depressing too, I won't spoil it for anyone but the Emperor's last words to the custodian he spoke to sent a chill through me.

I wonder if ADB actually likes the Emperor as a character? After reading MOM I'm not sure he does, I have a few issues with the Emperor myself after reading that.

Can't to see where the series goes next after this, should just be the juicy solar war stuff now right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Primarch Tolu; 12-06-16 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-17, 01:56 AM

Jr3212's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primarch Tolu View Post
Really great book and worth the wait.

It was never going to be everyone's cup of tea due to the fact it's the closest to a book about the Emperor there has ever been, so many things to cover, so many things people want answered.

But sad to see what the Emperor actually thought of the Primarchs, I wonder if he ended up thinking of him differently near the end.

The end was petty depressing too, I won't spoil it for anyone but the Emperor's last words to the custodian he spoke to sent a chill through me.

I wonder if ADB actually likes the Emperor as a character? After reading MOM I'm not sure he does, I have a few issues with the Emperor myself after reading that.

Can't to see where the series goes next after this, should just be the juicy solar war stuff now right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the numbered novels should be the solar war and maybe the resolution of the Martian civil war. The last HH novel I read was pharos, I've been working on TBA so I'm not totally caught up on the latest. I heard that the wolves got something going on so we'll probably get one more novella of them, and the schism in the dark angels will probably get wrapped up. I doubt they'll leave the other loyalists plot threads hanging. After Meduson I'd be very surprised, and a little annoyed if we don't see Shadrak Meduson and Tybalt Marr square off. In short GW has a lot of stories to milk before terra. Hell the Blood Angels haven't even reached terra yet.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-17, 09:05 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Absolutely refuse to touch the HH hardbacks and am a bit behind in the reading thus, but could not resist this one and caved in and got the audiobook... That was some intense shit, from start to finish. Will probably have to sit down and actually read the thing before I can wrap my head around everything that went down. Just sooo good.

The Custodians were so cool to finally see done properly as well, after that absolute shit fest of a portrayal in The Beast Arises.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-17, 05:51 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

There might be some vague spoilers in this post.

I finished it last night and I have to say that it's one of my favourite HH novels.
The Custodes actually felt as powerful as they should. Over the past few novels I've seen a bit of a iffy balance of power when it comes to the Space Marines. Some times they'll be so tough that they just seem laughably invincible. Other times they'll be as squishy as jelly. It all depends on who's writing it. There's always huge balance towards whoever is considered the focus of the novel. For example, if XXXX legion is the main focus, you'll see a squad of 5 marines killing over 9000 YYYY legionaries. If YYYY is the focus, you'll see the exact opposite. Take Praetorian of Dorn, where the Alpha Legionaries are so OP that a single one of them could easily take down a multitude of Imperial Fists.

In this particular novel, it felt balanced. Custodes were dropping, but only after taking a huge number of enemies with them. They're super Space Marines and you get the real feeling that they are.

I actually liked how the Emperor was portrayed. As mentioned previously, how he regards the Primarchs was somewhat shocking, but perfectly understandable and I think it fits the character. He has one focus and one focus alone, everything else is a tool to be used to complete that focus. And as for the ending...yeah...wow.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-17, 01:56 PM

Brobaddon's Flag is: Croatia

The way he calls them by their number " Sixteenth/Twelfth " etc was quite shocking, he doesnt even use their names most of the time.

I actually felt bad for them throughout most of the book.

Quote:
In this particular novel, it felt balanced. Custodes were dropping, but only after taking a huge number of enemies with them. They're super Space Marines and you get the real feeling that they are.
Yeah they were great. I only wish there was more of Silent Sisterhood action instead of vague references and mentions.

Quote:
For example, if XXXX legion is the main focus, you'll see a squad of 5 marines killing over 9000 YYYY legionaries. If YYYY is the focus, you'll see the exact opposite. Take Praetorian of Dorn, where the Alpha Legionaries are so OP that a single one of them could easily take down a multitude of Imperial Fists.
Reminds me of Deathfire and tragi-comical rape of Death Guard. Oh Death Guard are tough? No problem, ill just proceed to kill several of them single-handledly and maybe earn a wound to the shoulder, sigh.

Last edited by Brobaddon; 01-30-17 at 02:02 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-17, 05:57 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Even Guiliman acknowledged that the Emperor, while sublime in many areas, was a terrible father.

But with this growing dehumanization of the Emperor, I am curious to see how they will manage the final encounter with Horus. The Master of Mankind certainly seems to have little regard or empathy for the primarchs, and per the Outcast Dead, he is already resigned to a terrible resolution of their meeting.

Whereas the older fluff had him hold back due to a love for Horus. But in this new incarnation I frankly cant see this happen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode